Weekly Quiz

More
15 Oct 2010 17:19 #406904 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Weekly Quiz
trianglelaguna wrote:
"Larry please...these folks KNOW pods dont work ,so why try and bother them with the truth"

I'm shocked that you missed the point. Pods don't work IF you simply rip out the air box and stick on pods, or if you fiddle with the carb jetting without a clue using simple trial and error rather than an understanding of flow dynamics -- Do they??? Maybe in your world, but here on Planet Earth it takes a bit more than that to tune the bike and make them work across the power band, and when you're done, unless there have been other mods made to take advantage of the increased flow, you still haven't improved overall performance. If so, show me the dyno sheets.

Regarding:
"ooh and the answer is....one or more idel circuits is clogged......" what did i win

Thanks for playing, but you win no Twinkie. Do you really believe that all the folks who stuck pods on their bikes and experienced performance problems somehow clogged up their idle circuits in the process of installing the pods. The 5 examples I gave were all from the past week. Over the past months/years there have been many many such problems when pods are installed. I doubt that these bikes coincidentally had idle circuit clogs strike when pods were installed. There's got to be more to it that that. Ed

larrycavan wrote:

650ed wrote:

OK folks, time for the weekly quiz. What is the one thing the 5 different bikes with 5 different problems shown below (posted within the past week) have in common? Don’t be shy, you could win a Twinkie. ;)

A. ...i couldn't start the bike without squirting gas into the carbs first and need the choke all the way out. it runs rough and only at high rpms. will not idle...

B. Engine Popping

C. ...still running like shxt. ….cant even get up to 1/4 throttle with out it just dying. even if it is warmed up. it does it ever time, you can throttle slow or gun it and it still just dies.

D. ...the only issue was a little backfiring under deceleration. Yesterday I took it out, and it was running good while in neutral, very responsive to the throttle... But when I took off, it would need alot of throttle to get going, and as soon as I let the clutch completely out the engine would really struggle...

E. ...just cant seem to find the right combination of carb settings to run properly. I’ve gone bigger jets, smaller jets, different needle position, synced, idle air/fuel screws, check float levels.......repeat process a 100 times. Too rich too lean, no power, no idle etc...

(Here’s the answer written upside down) spod :silly:

Which begs the question...

How come we managed to jet our bikes in the 70s for pods and they ran good but so many people today can't seem to get that figured out?

[/quote]

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
15 Oct 2010 17:19 #406905 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Weekly Quiz
no it's called the bell curve........

my nephews could not change a spark plug if you put a 45 to their head and cocked it.......

they could clean my computer files up in 4 minutes.......with a text going in the other hand...

they could not start a chainsaw or plant corn if they had six yrs to do it.....

if it were not for technology they would be naked banging tin cups by the side of the road.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• kaw a bong a
  • User
  • Have a 1978 kz 650 b and a 1976 kz 900z1ltd
More
15 Oct 2010 17:27 #406907 by kaw a bong a
Replied by kaw a bong a on topic Weekly Quiz
Riddle me this?Why hate on the pods?it's not their fault you couldn't get them to work on you're bike and had to stick with the stock air box.and with no experience at all besides how to use a phone and call dyno-jet and have them send me a kit,install into CLEAN CARBS, move needles, sync,and viola! kz650 runs great.no popping,no bog,just balls out speed,and nice idle.

1978kz650b 1976kz900 first bike 1979kz 400

More
15 Oct 2010 17:41 #406909 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Weekly Quiz
Am thinking the consensus of opinion is that carbs with pods are far more difficult (than stock airbox) to tune for excellent performance throughout the powerband.

And when equipped with pods, that CV carbs are even more difficult (than manual throttle slide carbs) to tune for excellent performance throughout the powerband.

Besides tuning hassles, pods suffer several other disadvantages compared to the stock airbox.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2010 17:44 #406910 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Weekly Quiz
issue isnt hating on the pods.issue is folks who install pods and expect the bike to perform better without any further thought to what else needs attending to if u increase air flow; i.e.clean the carbs,rejet for a slightly richer mixture,sync the carbs,etc.,etc.I have the stock air box with a K and N and V and H pipe and had to tweak the carbs a bit.If I had just slapped the parts on,doubt the bike would run near as well as it does.bj

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2010 17:46 #406911 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Weekly Quiz
Old Man Rock wrote:

They're all KZ's?

Do I win the Twinky....

No, you ARE the Twinky.

More
15 Oct 2010 18:01 #406916 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Weekly Quiz
hocbj23 wrote:

Old Man Rock wrote:

They're all KZ's?

Do I win the Twinky....

No, you ARE the Twinky.

Thanks a lot for spilling the beans! Now I'll never be able to give the Twinky away. :laugh:

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Oct 2010 19:02 #406925 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Weekly Quiz
larrycavan wrote:
Which begs the question...
How come we managed to jet our bikes in the 70s for pods and they ran good but so many people today can't seem to get that figured out?[/quote]

The answer is simple: in the 70s they came with carburetors. Then some genius came up with the CV carb (probably trying to reduce emissions). They are two completely different animals to work on.

I swear some people think those sliders in CV carbs lift by magic. Maybe if we bonk enough of them guys telling people to pod their machine for better performance on the head with the mechanical linkage from their old 70s style carbs they'll get the idea of what is missing.:laugh:

I mean Kawasaki obviously never put any thought into their air system for CV performance, being lowly race leaders for years and years. A smuck on the street can do better, well with some help from K&N. Oh god stop, it hurts, I'm killen myself here. :lol: :lol:

Most days I find it extremely funny that people don't even begin to understand the difference in operation between the two styles of carbs... other days it's just annoying to realize how daft people can be. :blink:

Funny how the POD makers have failed to address the situation for over 20 years. They must care a great deal.. snicker

Here is a new question of the week, let's see who all gets this one correct... WHAT IS THE MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SLIDER CARB OPERATION, AND CV CARB OPERATION?????

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
15 Oct 2010 19:04 #406926 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Weekly Quiz
650ed wrote:

larrycavan wrote:
"Which begs the question...

How come we managed to jet our bikes in the 70s for pods and they ran good but so many people today can't seem to get that figured out?"

That's a great question. Do you think it might be a problem with the reformulated fuels? Ed

BINGO!!!

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
15 Oct 2010 19:47 #406935 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Weekly Quiz
Here's an earlier pod thread ---

Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=3&id=271526

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
15 Oct 2010 20:49 #406944 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Weekly Quiz
Ok I will try Captian, but am not interested in a twinkie. :lol:

Slider carbs lift the needle mechanically while CV carbs lift it via vacuum created in the venturi. This vacuum acts on a diaphram which moves the needle. When a CV carb is working correctly there is a direct relation between air speed and the needle location. This direct relation of air speed and needle location is not necessary there with the mechanical slider carbs.

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

More
15 Oct 2010 22:01 - 15 Oct 2010 22:11 #406951 by lobstermobster
Replied by lobstermobster on topic Weekly Quiz
since a quote from one of my posts was used in this little quiz i'll chime in. Yes i am new to motorcycles, and i know its hard to believe but all of you were too. And I know some of you would like to believe you just magically know everything about everything, but im sure you didnt get to where you are today with out some guidance from some one else who was more knowledgeable about motorcycles at the time. So what it comes down to is, why do half the people on this site only come on here to boost their moral like a high school jock. The only reason these sites exist is to share information and link up with people of like interests. So why bash the new guys for trying to figure out their shit, who cares if its not what your into.. if you have the ability to help, why be a dick.

And about the pods, at least in my case... I do not expect any power gains. Just running as good or close to it as it was. the stock air box is fucking gross (IMO) and I wanted off. And whether most people like it or not, it seems that plenty have done the switch to the pods so someone has to know what works. Or at least a general idea. Seems know one has any good enough other than increase the jets. but no real numbers or anything.

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor
Last edit: 15 Oct 2010 22:11 by lobstermobster.