cant keep my bike running

• freshdonjuan
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2010 16:26 #405765 by freshdonjuan
cant keep my bike running was created by freshdonjuan
Hey guys, i think i have a carb issue. i am new to bikes, i actually just bought my first bike!! i recently bought a 1977 kz1000 LTD. when i got it, the bike was in pretty good running condition. i have recently run into a problem. the bike starts fine and then quites on me. i cant keep it running. i have to keep it reved up pretty high and as soon as i let off the throttle it dies. i think this is a carb issue. has anyone had this issue or have a good idea from the description? like i said i am new to bikes and am not much of a mechanic. is this something that i might be able to tune on my own or should i just take it in to a shop?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2010 18:40 #405799 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic cant keep my bike running
bike is on the carb pilot circuit until 3/4 throttle.sounds like u need to clean carbs real well.do u have a good fuel filter inline?is tank ok and free from rust?did u tune bike up when u got it (new plugs,etc)?bj

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
10 Oct 2010 20:00 #405859 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic cant keep my bike running

bike is on the carb pilot circuit until 3/4 throttle.sounds like u need to clean carbs real well.do u have a good fuel filter inline?is tank ok and free from rust?did u tune bike up when u got it (new plugs,etc)?bj

He is right, it COULD definetly be that...But before we get too technical i would like to mention the Idle screw. Is the idle up high enough??? the screw should be between the middle carbs on the top. tightning it will raise the idle. loosening it lowers it...Try that then get back to us.

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
12 Oct 2010 14:02 #406168 by wargoth
Replied by wargoth on topic cant keep my bike running
First thing to do, if you already havent, is get a manual. Trying to diagnose your problem blind, I would guess that you have a fuel restriction somewhere. Most likely would be crud in the pilot (idle) jet, which is inside the carburetor float bowl. Not to be confused with the idle mixture needle, which is outside the carb as you know. The hole inside this jet is SUPER TINY! and becomes very easily plugged by any debris inside the tank, I have even seen particles go through a fuel filter and plug the pilot jets immediately after cleaning. I would start by getting some carb kits, at least new "O" rings, and clean the carbs. If you dont the slightest clue how to do this, i would recommend doing some reading up, or take it to a reputable machanic. The post-cleaning process takes some special tools to properly tune the carbs. So if you are not ready to shell out a couple of hundred of $, take it to someone.

More
12 Oct 2010 18:39 #406241 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic cant keep my bike running
couple of things come to mind....could need a good tune up...could need a valve adjustment.......the factory fuel filter is a cup underneath the petcock.....check it out..if its full of crap, some might have entered the carbs.....i would clean them out just to rule that out...carb boots could be old and cracked also....if you can keep it running, spray some wd on the boots that connect the carbs to the motor......i dont think thats it, but worth a try....does the bike have the stock filter and pipes?....
worse comes to worse, you pay for parts and shipping and i will clean them out for you.......