Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?

More
10 Oct 2010 13:00 - 10 Oct 2010 13:02 #405699 by apearson
Ball bearing in vacuum petcock? was created by apearson
Hey guys. Was rebuilding my petcock of my '81 KZ1000 M1 yesterday and noticed what looks like a ball bearing in the bottom (where green arrow is pointing). Is this indeed a ball bearing? If so, should it move (spin, lift, etc.)? This one is frozen. I'm thinking its supposed to move to provide intake for the vacuum and since its stuck its causing the leaking. Thanks for any help.

[img
petcock_sm by AlexP524 , on Flickr

Alex

1981 KZ1000 CSR - My first bike evah!
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 13:02 by apearson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2010 13:09 - 10 Oct 2010 13:11 #405701 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
I have not seen everything, but I'm sure I've never seen a ball bearing in a fuel petcock before.

Are you sure you are not looking at an aluminum plug in the bottom of thee the petcock?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 13:11 by TexasKZ.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2010 13:28 #405708 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
All the petcocks have that.Dont believe it is a ball bearing,and dont believe it is supposed to move-otherwise immediate fuel leak.It may be a plug of some sort,however.If u r rebuilding yours,I assume u dont need my spare one?bj

More
10 Oct 2010 13:41 #405715 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
It's probably a brass bead, they use them to seal the unneeded passages that come as a result of machining the part. You can find several of them on carbs. The vacuum system should be completely sealed as any source of air would reduce the amount of vacuum and cause many tuning issues.

How exactly is you're petcock leaking? Is it allowing fuel to go through without vacuum? Is there gas leaking around the petcock? Is there gas getting into the vacuum line?

1978 Z1-R

More
10 Oct 2010 18:41 - 10 Oct 2010 18:43 #405802 by apearson
Replied by apearson on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
Sounds likes what JakeB said. Here's a better pic.
[img

It was leaking before and I bought a rebuild kit. I took it apart, cleaned it, added the new parts and put it back together. I'm not sure exactly where it was leaking from before, but now it leaks right out the side of the square plate in back where the sqare rubber vacuum valve (?) is.

Here's a vid of the leak.
flic.kr/p/8J2STS

Thanks guys!

Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 18:43 by apearson.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
10 Oct 2010 19:03 #405816 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
The square plate "back there" has two very thin rubber gaskets
with a small check valve in the middle.Is that what u replaced?That is the mechanism that pulls a vacuum when engine is running to allow fuel to flow.If it is leaking without the engine running either parts are defective or u didnt assemble properly.Good luck.bj

More
10 Oct 2010 19:05 #405820 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
You can see in your video it's leaking from the diagphram, just look to the top left, just below where it says Fuel.. heh Coming out from right at the top screw. Possibly more areas I can't see in the vid.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
10 Oct 2010 19:06 #405822 by Nunzi
Replied by Nunzi on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
Dang that's some leak. I'm having issues with my vac petcock too, letting gas through even with no vacuum, i.e. when the bike is off and no matter what setting it's on between pri-on-res. wasn't sure if a rebuild kit would do the trick, now this video all scares me away from that idea. . . probably just going to replace it once I find the right one. . .

More
11 Oct 2010 10:06 #405969 by apearson
Replied by apearson on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
Thanks for the input guys.

The engine was off. Just turned the lever from ON to PRI and, as you saw in the vid, it starts squirting out the side. I'll have to take it apart and re-do it to see if I assembled the pieces wrong or maybe the rubber gaskets got wrinkled, or something equally stupid, when I put it back together.

@hocbj23: Definitely still want your spare petcock.

@Nunzi: Nothing wrong with the rebuild kit, more likely the rebuilder (me!). :blush: Don't go by my experience. I'm sure I just messed up a simple re-build do to lack of experience.

More
11 Oct 2010 11:19 #405977 by JakeB
Replied by JakeB on topic Ball bearing in vacuum petcock?
When you take it apart look over the housing really well for any cracks or any gouges in the mating surfaces.

Here is a diagram of the petcock.

1978 Z1-R
Attachments: