any tricks to check float bowl level on 29mm carb

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Oct 2010 15:13 #405256 by trianglelaguna
i ahve seen a homemade looking tool sold on ebay that will thread onto the bottom of 29 smoothbores...anyone got any other tricks or tips...i am gonna do the smoothies next and see if i can get the MKII to run a bit better...looking at ordering sync tool in another thread too..valves are adjusted and timing is close but needs to be checked again...going with an open(capped only) kerker and pods......

wanna see if sync and vacum and float levels gets me any better before checking plugs for jetting

any tricks to making a bowl level tester or links to a decent tool for such...thanks

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2010 15:27 #405259 by JakeB
It looks like Z1E just started carrying one. They have it listed under the new parts section of the home page.

Here's the direct link
www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=4341

1978 Z1-R

More
08 Oct 2010 15:43 #405261 by 650ed
You can make one as I did using an old carb drain screw, a couple brass plumbing fittings, some tubing, solder, drill press. etc. (see image). If I had found the ones on eBay (see link) before I made mine I would have bought one. They're cheap enough (probably cost less than I have in mine) and they look like they're made well.

eBay Tool

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
08 Oct 2010 15:44 - 08 Oct 2010 15:48 #405262 by Patton
For the 29 smoothbores, I use a conical shapped rubber plug that has a hole through it like a grommet.
Insert the clear tube into the rubber plug hole, and that's the tool.

When using the tool:
Remove the drain nut, and hold the rubber plug in the drain hole while fuel is filling the float bowl.

It's fast and easy. Then repeat with each carb. Surprisingly little if any leakage involved (which doesn't affect the test).

The more professional screw-in nut with nipple fitment for the clear tube also works just fine, but is slower due to having to screw it in and out on each carb tested.

Same principle applies to clear tube testing with side-located drain screws. The special tool is just fine, but it's quicker and easier (imo) to press/thread the tube into the drain hole without using the special tool and thereby avoid having to screw the tool in and out for each carb.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 08 Oct 2010 15:48 by Patton.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Oct 2010 16:42 #405276 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic any tricks to check float bowl level on 29mm carb
can this be done level on block for access on a bench...then i gotta just mess witth the float needle tab until i like the level right...then repeat...ect...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 Oct 2010 17:55 #405297 by Patton
trianglelaguna wrote:

can this be done level on block for access on a bench...then i gotta just mess witth the float needle tab until i like the level right...then repeat...ect...

Yes, level on bench is just fine.

Saves some time by only using a single screw to hold float bowl on during adjusting and testing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
08 Oct 2010 18:02 #405299 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic any tricks to check float bowl level on 29mm carb
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=21&id=385849

this is one I made will work on 29's too, do two at a time, switch bowls and do other two, parts in plumbing section at hardware ( Lowes. Home Depot etc)