what is the best carb sync tool for the basic shop

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Oct 2010 04:38 #405428 by testarossa
Tri, I bought the Motion Pro Sync Pro carb sticks from Z1 a good while back. I know that others have been down on them since they switched to the mystery blue fluid from mercury. I had good sucess with mine, but not until I read the instructions and followed them to the letter.

I hadn't heard any of the negative reviews here at that point, and I bought them b/c they were the middle of the road set that Z1 sells. I don't usually buy the cheap stuff, or the super expensive stuff (unless it's machinist tools, but that's my trade.)

With the Motion Pro tool you balance the individual sticks with a manifold that ties all four lines together off of one vacuum source. That way, you know that they are all reading evenly. Then, it's very important to get the little brass air restrictors in the vacuum lines on the end that attaches to the carb boot. I had this wrong initially, and it lead to jumpy gauges. Once corrected they are rock steady, and easy to read.

Two things that I don't like about the Motion Pro tool. First, it gives you no idea what the actual amount of vacuum is. You just get a measurment that allows you to balance the four carbs and that's it. Not that big of a deal. The second, it that if the little columns of blue fluid get air bubbles, then it's a pain in the ass to get the fluid columns all connected back together again. This happened to me when I first detached the adjusting manifold from the carburetor while balancing the stick for the first time. I just pulled the line, and it abruptly cut the vacuum. It's about like trying to shake out your old thermometer that has the red, alcohol based fluid inside, but having to do four of them at the same time.

In the end, it works well once set up. Most of my problems came from not reading the instructions the first time. Dumbass me for assuming that I understood how it worked. The Morgan unit is only a few dollars more, and everyone here seems to like it. I have seen the videos of the Morgan in action, and the little columns bounce more than the Motion Pro does if its properly assembled. I'll stick with my Motion Pro since I don't do enough tuning to warrant anything better.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
09 Oct 2010 05:09 - 09 Oct 2010 05:14 #405431 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic what is the best carb sync tool for the basic shop
boy that is a good rundown on em..the parts you needed to set em up right came with the sticks?

.i'm kinda mechanicaly challenged...the stuff comes hard to me and then once i can do somthing i can get good at it...but i will always reach for the round peg for the square hole first...everytime...seems my mind just grabs the wrong end

i wonder if those pretty vacum dial gauges have the adapter tips included in that purty suitcase...or am i paying for the purty suitcase and not any better than a carb stciks...does anyone know if that 4 into 1 balancing manual comes with the sets........like when i bought that spiral backed manual online...i knew what i wanted and what sections it needed to include kinda...so i knew kinda what to ask....these have all these little adapters and such...i just wanna hit pay pal once and be done...thanks sooooo much guys.........

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 09 Oct 2010 05:14 by trianglelaguna.

More
09 Oct 2010 05:14 #405432 by dejavoodo41
Replied by dejavoodo41 on topic what is the best carb sync tool for the basic shop
With my K&L's I found that I have to do the same thing. I connect them all to the same port to make sure they are reading the same then do my sync. It made a huge difference once I found out that they were reading differently the first time I did the sync on my carbs. One of these days I plan on getting a set of the motion pro's because the couple of times I've used them I really liked them.

1977 KZ1000A With 1980 KZ1000A MKII engine, Wiseco 1105 kit, Dyna S Ignition, 3 Ohm Dyna Coils, Cams, Mikuni RS34 Carbs, Vance and Hines Pro Pipe with Comp Baffle

New Smyrna Beach, FL

• testarossa
  • User
More
09 Oct 2010 05:14 #405433 by testarossa
The Motion Pro set includes everything that you need including the little balancing manifold. Give me a minute, and I snap a picture. I know you do better with pictures.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• testarossa
  • User
More
09 Oct 2010 05:25 #405434 by testarossa
Here is the manifold:

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

• testarossa
  • User
More
09 Oct 2010 05:27 #405435 by testarossa
Here it is all hooked up and ready to balance the sticks. Just hook each of the four lines up to the manifold, and attach the short hose to a carb boot while running.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN
Attachments:

More
09 Oct 2010 06:46 #405441 by 650ed
trianglelaguna wrote:
i wonder if those pretty vacum dial gauges have the adapter tips included in that purty suitcase...

All those adapters came with the gauges, but I didn't need to use any of them. The vacuum hoses attached directly to the vacuum nipples on my Mikunis. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
09 Oct 2010 07:26 #405445 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic what is the best carb sync tool for the basic shop
trianglelaguna wrote:

nice tip..plummen hadf me looking at a set of j.c whitney vacume dail ones a while back too i just remebered..have you used the cyber cycle set.....i'm still leaning towards the dail type but i know that folks have done good work with carb stick types too....price is not the biggest factor ...as much as having the right stuff with it...i would not really know without hindsight which one had the righht stuff...thanks for that tip stoneman

Merc carb sticks are better, tne new Motion Pros suck, and there are many who agree on many forums but thats justIMO, the link I'm posting has a guy selling a couple of sets
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=392703
scroll down, he gives his email address

More
10 Oct 2010 10:30 #405670 by JR
How do you recommend disposing of the mercury when the tool is no longer required ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
10 Oct 2010 19:53 - 10 Oct 2010 19:54 #405855 by keith1
red or blue fluid is just alcohol with a dye in it....i looked it up online when one of my kids almost smashed a thermo on the basement floor......when you have the silver stuff, thats the stuff to stay away from.....they really havent used the silver stuff for the happy homeowner in many moons......
Last edit: 10 Oct 2010 19:54 by keith1.