To Rebuild? Or just mess with floats....

More
08 Oct 2010 12:34 #405223 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic To Rebuild? Or just mess with floats....
DO NOT CAP the the crankcase. If u decide to do pods u can either put a filter on top or put a hose on it and route it back by the swingarm. Capping it would be the same as someone choking your neck while ur riding...it needs to breathe just like you lol.

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2010 12:59 #405227 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic To Rebuild? Or just mess with floats....
djcody wrote:

DO NOT CAP the the crankcase...put a hose on it and route it back by the swingarm....

Here's one option:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
08 Oct 2010 13:06 #405228 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic To Rebuild? Or just mess with floats....
:unsure: Have never quite understood the reason for attaching a filter to the crankcase vent, except maybe to keep bugs from crawling inside.

Not like it inhales much outside air.

But, hey, am willing to learn. :cheer:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
08 Oct 2010 13:28 #405235 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic To Rebuild? Or just mess with floats....
Yeah I have seen some pics with people using a lil filter clamped on the breather which just kinda keeps the rain out of it if its left out but I didnt like it so 10 minutes after trying it, I ripped it off and put a hose on it. Didnt like the fumes from it when sitting at a light lol

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods

More
10 Oct 2010 19:00 #405813 by Nunzi
Replied by Nunzi on topic To Rebuild? Or just mess with floats....
Hey thanks for all the ideas. This is what i needed - people to just tell me like it is and point me in the right direction.

I've been really struggling with the question of pods or stock air box. One consideration is that the stock air box is such an enormous pain in the ass to get in and out, and the intakes take an enormous amount of effort to line up with the carbs. I wouldn't have to deal with any of that with the pods. And, since someone stole one of my side panels I figured pods and some other quick rearrangements could make it look much nicer. But then, I hear about how pods are a pain in the neck to dial in. The exhaust is stock right now.

My idea was to not have to sink a ton of money into the bike, you know, like not doing serious upgrades and the exhaust and all that. One day it's going to be a great reliable second bike that I'll enjoy riding around, but it's never gonna be pretty.