Carbs and new coils questions

More
03 Oct 2010 12:16 #403792 by KZ1979LTD
Carbs and new coils questions was created by KZ1979LTD
Bike: 1979 KZ 1000 LTD
carbs: stock as far as I can tell
Stock airbox
Header: 4 into 1 Yosh with baffle
I did not make any changes to the carbs after installing the Yosh. (previously had the stock Jardine 2 into 1's) Have some popping on deceleration. Bought new ACCEL high output coils to install in hopes of converting over to Dyna electronic ignition soon.
The paperwork with the coils says these coils have such a hotter spark that "larger jet sizes could be needed in order to maximize power output and prevent a possible lean fuel condition that might damage the engine".
Question is: Does this sound right to you guys, and if so how much bigger should I go on the jet sizes?
thanks for the input, Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2010 17:03 - 03 Oct 2010 17:04 #403858 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carbs and new coils questions
KZ1979LTD wrote:

Bike: 1979 KZ 1000 LTD
carbs: stock as far as I can tell
Stock airbox
Header: 4 into 1 Yosh with baffle
I did not make any changes to the carbs after installing the Yosh. (previously had the stock Jardine 2 into 1's) Have some popping on deceleration. Bought new ACCEL high output coils to install in hopes of converting over to Dyna electronic ignition soon.
The paperwork with the coils says these coils have such a hotter spark that "larger jet sizes could be needed in order to maximize power output and prevent a possible lean fuel condition that might damage the engine".
Question is: Does this sound right to you guys, and if so how much bigger should I go on the jet sizes?
thanks for the input, Tom

That sounds like a giant crock of marketing hooey suitable for fertilizing plants. You need a proper spark to get maximum power, but a "hotter" spark won't buy anything assuming the stock ignition is adequate for the job and most are. If you replace a failing coil with a new one, you would see an increase in power.

If you hear popping on decel, it probably is lean but due to high flow of headers not ignition.

Popping can also be caused by exhaust leaks at the headers. Are the exhaust gaskets sealing tight?

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 03 Oct 2010 17:04 by bountyhunter.

More
03 Oct 2010 19:06 - 03 Oct 2010 19:09 #403892 by KZ1979LTD
Replied by KZ1979LTD on topic Carbs and new coils questions
OK. If I am running lean because of the header what can I do aside from changing jet sizes to enrich the system? Exhaust gaskets are fine using the old rag on the tailpipe trick I don't hear any leaks at the head.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2010 19:09 by KZ1979LTD.

More
03 Oct 2010 21:39 #403921 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carbs and new coils questions
Richer means changing either jets or needles.

1979 KZ-750 Twin