Price check !

More
21 Sep 2010 18:49 #400718 by coach59
Price check ! was created by coach59
Does $400 seem reasonable to clean the carbs (ultra-sonic ) and $180 for a valve adjustment ? ('82 KZ750 LTD)
Quote coming from a local shop....seems high to me, but I don't have anything to compare it to...( I've not yet received other quotes from local shops..)

How often should this service be performed? Yikes ! :ohmy:

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2010 18:55 #400729 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Price check !
depends on what part of texas that youre in! :woohoo:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2010 19:06 #400738 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Price check !
Well one of the reasons for the Valve adjustment to cost that is the adjustment requires removing the cams to get to the shims, then that should be with parts hopefully. Which should be the different thickness shims needed and a new valve cover gasket.
The carbs would also hopefully be with 4 new carb kits, with the removal disassembly- reassembly syncing etc. Kits alone would be $100 for 4, or more.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
23 Sep 2010 06:19 #401123 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Price check !
coach59 wrote:

Does $400 seem reasonable to clean the carbs (ultra-sonic ) and $180 for a valve adjustment ? ('82 KZ750 LTD)
Quote coming from a local shop....seems high to me, but I don't have anything to compare it to...( I've not yet received other quotes from local shops..)

How often should this service be performed? Yikes ! :ohmy:

Thanks

Valve adjustment is a 1.5 hour job plus the gasket & maybe cam end plugs.

After carbs are cleaned and the valves adjusted, the carbs need to be synchronized. Is that included or extra cost?

Should have new spark plugs and possibly air filter & oil/filter change to complete the tune up.

More
23 Sep 2010 09:23 #401164 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Price check !
If you don't want to rebuild the carbs for a long while after this service, make sure you use a little Seafoam or someone was recommending a Lucas product in another thread. If you're riding often you won't need this, but if you're like me and your bike sits for months at a time it's a really good idea.

More
23 Sep 2010 14:13 #401219 by sparkn
Replied by sparkn on topic Price check !
+1 on the Lucas. The medium sized bottle will last a couple thousand miles with just 2 oz. per fill up.

1979 KZ650 SR

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Sep 2010 17:08 #401272 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Price check !
if you can afford it..and you dont wanna sweat buying a few tools and chemicals and losing your few days off for the week...then yeah that is a deal really...but when you go to pick the bike up...all you have is their word that they fixed everything,did not screw anything up for a later problem,and tha final bill is usually more than the slip you sign before walking away from your bike.......a manual and a few tools and your gonna be better off....ultra cleaning aside..it is easy stuff.......and you'll know the quality of the end result...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
25 Sep 2010 11:06 #401661 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Price check !
$180 for the valve adjustment is not bad at all, as long as it is done right. Make sure he knows the camchain adjuster must be loose when he installs the valve cover. It's in the manual. The valve cover is part of the chain guide system and presses down on the chain.