Other Bikes for Parts on a 1981 GPZ, KZ1100GP, KZ1

• GPZ1100_Rider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Sep 2010 19:32 #400439 by GPZ1100_Rider
Hi:

Spent most of the weekend pulling my new-to-me bike apart, then cleaning it up real good (looking fine too), so...

Since I'm looking at rebuilding things on my 1981 GPZ-1100, I was wondering if anyone can tell me what other KZ's I can utilize for parts for rebuilding subassemblies on my bike. Engine stuff, brakes, chassis things, etc.

I'm pretty sure that I'll be rebuilding the front brake master cylinder (the cap gasket/diaphragm is leaky), and calipers, same for the rear brake system. For thirty years old, all the hoses look good - opinions?

Front fork seals - can the ones on Ebay be trusted, or should I stick with NOS?

Someone mentioned removing the injectors to have them ultrasonically cleaned and calibrated. I look at the exploded views of the injector assemblies and see a couple of seals/insulators and can't find their availability anywhere, so I'm a little leary about taking the injectors out and tearing up those seals - thoughts?

I have some Yamaha Carb Cleaner that seems to work well, and was wondering if cleaning fuel-related components with it, and running a strongish mixture of SeaFoam through the system would be enough without getting into injector removal.

It looks like it wouldn't be a bad idea to take the throttle valves out and clean them up, and lube the bushings and linkages - is it worthwhile, or are those rubber boots too hard from age, and it's risking to move them around?

On last thing about the fuel system. The mass flow module plugs into the back of the air box/surge tank, slipping into a large rubber grommet-looking thing on the back of the surge tank. No clamp is used here. When I removed the mass flow module, I noted an oily film of gritty stuff on the inside of the surge tank. I got a feeling that the grommet thing has lost it's sealing ability. Any ideas on how to tighten up and/or seal this interface better, to prevent leakage?

Many thanks in advance.
Marty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
21 Sep 2010 04:57 #400521 by 9am53
For engine bits any post 1981 kz1000 would be useful, but I don't know how many other parts would be useful. My 82 ltd and 83 GPz are more different than I expected in terms of frame and cahssis components.

More
21 Sep 2010 08:11 #400546 by Mcdroid
Become familiar with www.kawasaki.com On that site are exploded diagrams with part list links and these links will show you which other models of Kawasakis various GPz1100B2 parts are shared. This will greatly broaden your searches at both aftermarket dealers and on eBay. If you do decide to pull your injectors, send them to www.witchhunter.com as they apparently are reasonably priced and know what they are doing. Do not dissassemble your injectors...merely remove all the attached plumbing. If the intake boots are the originals, I'd consider replacing them (I believe they are still available)...same with the air ducts.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
21 Sep 2010 08:27 #400547 by Motor Head
"Someone mentioned removing the injectors to have them ultrasonically cleaned and calibrated. I look at the exploded views of the injector assemblies and see a couple of seals/insulators and can't find their availability anywhere, so I'm a little leary about taking the injectors out and tearing up those seals - thoughts?"

That was me, and the web site provided looks like a good deal. They will have the proper O-rings and filters in stock, they will be from a "Bulk" kit and not Kawasaki OEM parts, this is normal for Injector service.

"On last thing about the fuel system. The mass flow module plugs into the back of the air box/surge tank, slipping into a large rubber grommet-looking thing on the back of the surge tank. No clamp is used here. When I removed the mass flow module, I noted an oily film of gritty stuff on the inside of the surge tank. I got a feeling that the grommet thing has lost it's sealing ability. Any ideas on how to tighten up and/or seal this interface better, to prevent leakage?"
Here a picture would do a lot as many people know fuel injection systems but don't have the Kawasaki system. If that is a Mass Air Flow sensor of the Non Moving Parts type, ie "HOT WIRE" and not the "Flapper Door" variety, then CRC makes a spray can of special cleaner for cleaning the little wire element. Works great and can save a expensive sensor that is not seeing the air flow properly, "Lean".
I'm thinking of sending some Ford injectors into that site, cheaper than rebuilds, or new for sure.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
21 Sep 2010 16:35 #400672 by Patton
Mcdroid wrote:

Become familiar with www.kawasaki.com On that site are exploded diagrams with part list links and these links will show you which other models of Kawasakis various GPz1100B2 parts are shared. This will greatly broaden your searches at both aftermarket dealers and on eBay....

Click here > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
21 Sep 2010 16:47 #400677 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Other Bikes for Parts on a 1981 GPZ, KZ1100GP, KZ1
1981 KZ1000J standard has many parts the same chassis and brakes and tail -seats..rear lights turn signals side covers ect..coils..cdi boxes...rear ends...chain gaurds....ect.ect.just the instruments tank and DFI and heads are diff...on the 81gpz and 81 jstandard

......and the cop bikes form 81/82---2000 &? are the same lower ends and some bolts and brake parts tid bits...gotta double check any elec as your has DFI and also the cop bikes very on dimensions...careful with your instruments they cost a few bucks and are model specific...good luck...ect....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife