how to clean out muffler - baffles

More
20 Sep 2010 06:14 #400244 by reaver573
how to clean out muffler - baffles was created by reaver573
Ok thankyou for all your help. Buttttt - A friend of mine
suggested that I remove the mufflers. Made a big difference.

When I try to look thru them, I don't see any light. Is this
normal?? If not, is there a way to clean them out??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2010 06:40 - 21 Feb 2013 20:49 #400251 by H1Vindicator
Replied by H1Vindicator on topic ----
----
Last edit: 21 Feb 2013 20:49 by H1Vindicator.

More
20 Sep 2010 09:24 #400302 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic how to clean out muffler - baffles
Depends on the muffler. If it is a Kerker baffle type, then you should be able to see right through (assuming it's straight). Some (all?) of the factory mufflers are just a series of chambers connected by pipes with perforations in them. You can't see through this type at all.

If it's a Kerker type with glass padding, you can re-pack it with new fiberglass padding (use muffler packing, not fiberglass insulation). Using a solvent to clean it out will likely just gum up the packing.

You may be able to use some sort of solvent on the factory mufflers, but as long as it's not a 2-stroke and not burning oil and not running super-rich, it's probably not necessary.

More
20 Sep 2010 11:20 #400335 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic how to clean out muffler - baffles
I assume that when you say "big difference," you mean something other than higher noise level.

If the engine runs better without the airbox (or did you reconnect it?) and without the mufflers, then there is still a significant problem with the fuel mixture, unless the carbs were set up to run this way. Could be fuel level is too high, Brasso residue holding float valves open, some other crud holding them open, buggered up jets, broken or badly worn jet needles, or maybe rat condos in the mufflers.
At any rate, carbs with stock jetting and proper set up should run like c--p without the airbox and mufflers.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough