750 twin sputtering at initial acceleration

More
15 Sep 2010 05:58 #398832 by medicman356
750 twin sputtering at initial acceleration was created by medicman356
i just got this bike about 2 months ago and dont really know much about it. i think it may be a carb problem. the bike is a 1982 750 twin csr i got it for a great price it runs good and i drive it every day to work and on errands but have noticed that when taking off from a stop light or any time the bike is at a idoling stop and i try to take off the bike sputters and trips over its self until it almost stalls. i have to pull the clutch and feather the throttle until it smooths out and than i can drive it as usual and it runs great. this seems to happen more when it is "cold" i let it warm up every time before i ride it for atleast 5-10 min. but it still does this real bad for the first 20 min or 10 - 15 miles then it still does it but not quite as bad. i was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or if anyone might have an idea about what it may be and how i might fix it. i dont know if it is a problem with going from idle to acceleration or some thing else so any help would be greatly appriciated thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2010 11:42 #398896 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic 750 twin sputtering at initial acceleration
Lots of possible problems:

1) timing advancer hung up or messed up

2) pilot jets clogged or misadjusted

3) vacuum leaks

4) fuel levels set wrong

5) tears in carb diaphragms

6) carbs/fuel system dirty or clogged up

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
15 Sep 2010 11:44 #398897 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic 750 twin sputtering at initial acceleration
If you have the stock air box on I'd check your filter, if someone put a K&N filter in there, oil it. If it's a paper filter and really dirty, replace it.

I suggest you check your timing advancer also, and make sure it is fully closing. I've seen a couple that were rusty and still opened properly, but didn't return to full closed. 5 minutes of your life to check it.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.