Some sort of Carb issues.

• Bunyip
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Sep 2010 05:54 #397612 by Bunyip
Some sort of Carb issues. was created by Bunyip
I have a 1983 KZ440 LTD, and I just got it running last night. However, it would only start with full choke, I would let it run for a while, and then let the choke down and it would be okay. Then when I would try to ride it, I would get about a mile, and it would stall. I could start it again, fully choked, but as soon as I gave it any throttle, it would stall. So, I had to walk it about a mile home. I would (under direction of someone who I thought knew what he was talking about) spray carb cleaner into the carb, and it would be back to square one: fully choked for a while, then it would drive, then I got a mile away, and it stalled again. I don't know what is going on, so I asked my friend for his advice. He suggested I spray the carb cleaner in there, and let it sit overnight, as this my melt away some of the gunk in the carb. I did that, and the next morning it won't start at all. HELP!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2010 10:39 #397655 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic Some sort of Carb issues.
Where exactly did you spray this carb clean and let it sit? Most of that junk is not rubber friendly. Do you have the stock air box, intakes, and filter in place?

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
11 Sep 2010 13:01 #397682 by Smash Adams
Replied by Smash Adams on topic Some sort of Carb issues.
Capt America wrote:

Where exactly did you spray this carb clean and let it sit? Most of that junk is not rubber friendly. Do you have the stock air box, intakes, and filter in place?

I am curious to find out where he put the carb cleaner, as I don't know of a way you can spray into the carb unless you removed the air filter and sprayed through the air box and rubber boots?

I was cleaning my carbs yesterday and was wearing vinyl gloves and every 15 minutes I had to change the gloves because the carb cleaner ate right through them.

Anyways, I would assume your jets got clogged with the gunk that the carb cleaner loosened. Try loosening the drain screw on each float bowl and see if clean fuel comes out.

Cheers

1982 KZ440 LTD "D"
Exhaust, air box, carbs, all factory stock
Los Angeles, CA, USA

• Bunyip
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Sep 2010 15:34 #397744 by Bunyip
Replied by Bunyip on topic Some sort of Carb issues.
I was able to flip the seat up, flip the airbox/filter up, and spray right into the carb.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2010 17:11 #397794 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Some sort of Carb issues.
Spraying carb cleaner from the out side into the throat of the carb will do very little. They must be pulled off and disassembled, cleaned thoroughly, set up for sync and float level on the bench. Then tuned after a good warm up with a dynamic sync. Always install a good motorcycle type of in-line fuel filter to the in coming line before filling the carbs again, fresh fuel too if its been sitting a while, definitely if its been years clean the tank.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...