carbuator colors ?

More
15 Apr 2006 11:25 #39700 by dan76kz900
carbuator colors ? was created by dan76kz900
Hi,

I've been polishing some of my carb parts lately.. the top peice, float bowl, velocity stacks. They are turning out real nice ! :) But then when I set them back on the carb, the body section isnt looking too great :unsure:

I dont want to try and polish the body - is there a way to brighten them up ? Change the color or something ?

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
15 Apr 2006 14:47 #39733 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic carbuator colors ?
have you tried scrubbing them up really good?the problem with painting them is the first time a little gas gas spilled or leaks theyre gonna get really nasty on ya and they will be really hard to keep clean.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
15 Apr 2006 17:18 #39779 by WharfRat
Replied by WharfRat on topic carbuator colors ?
Polish them-I used some drill mounted buffs,and a dremel. couldn't get into all the nooks and crannies but they look miles better than they did before. Didn't even take off the carbs. Good rainy day project.

Post edited by: WharfRat, at: 2006/04/15 20:20

Kenosha,WI
1979 KZ 400B2
1980 KZ 750 E1
1979 KZ 650 B3
Attachments:

More
15 Apr 2006 17:28 #39783 by arobsum
Replied by arobsum on topic carbuator colors ?
thats a good job on that carb. it looks nice.

More
16 Apr 2006 07:30 #39879 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic carbuator colors ?
Wow WharfRat, when I saw your photo I thought you were going to say you painted them with chrome paint. Very nice job!

More
16 Apr 2006 14:57 #39954 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic carbuator colors ?
Don't laugh when You read this,but...a couple years back,I was cleaning MY carbs too(time to do them again,I think),and a Friend of a Friend told Me about this stuff..."Rub n' Buff".
It's craft-work related,and I believe it was intended for designing(tinting) picture frames in different colours.
This stuff works pretty good...obviously not like polishing,but for a general cleaning?...get the stuff that's called,"Silver Leaf" for doing carb bodies.It not only polishes up sweet,but it also leaves a silver tint on the metal,which DOES protect the metal(it's kind of greasy/waxy actually)...check it out...it's cheap enough to try out($3.25),and trust Me...a tiny DAB goes a LOOONNNGGG way!(very small tubes)...

I got some from a craft store,btw.(NO...really?)

store.fimousa.com/rubnbuff.html

Post edited by: Sandy, at: 2006/04/16 17:59

1977 KZ1000 A-1
Attachments:

More
16 Apr 2006 19:40 #40048 by dan76kz900
Replied by dan76kz900 on topic carbuator colors ?
Thanks for the tips.. Sandy I give you the points for the best answer ! :laugh:

Well, I tried a few things this weekend:

Mothers aluminum polish and rag, also tried with a toothbrush- cleaned up some

Scrubbing with 000 steel wool - cleaned up some

clear coat rubbing compound - cleaned up some too, I think I am happy now with the cleaner look it has. So will go with that.

Later on after the bike is back together, I think I will try powder coating the carbuator body ! I think powder coat black with polish aluminum top/bowl/velocity stacks will look awesome !