leaking gas from overflow kz650 SR

More
03 Sep 2010 20:21 - 03 Sep 2010 20:29 #395954 by rowdy
leaking gas from overflow kz650 SR was created by rowdy
I just did some horse trading and ended up with a kz650 SR (or a guess a D model, still unsure of these things)
It was built in August of 1978, so I guess it is technically a 1979 model, right?

Anyway here is what I know is wrong with it so far:

Petcock is shot, leaks in all three positions.

Sometimes leaks fuel from the overflows. Sometimes not. I'm not sure on how often. Sometimes I will smell like gas or see gas on the ground, sometimes not.

Might have a slight hesitation from idle to 1/4 throttle, but might be my clutch control.

Has new wires and plugs, but plugs 2 and 3 were slightly fouled, and were wet.

Small backfire pops every now and then at nearly any throttle setting, except perhaps idle.

Might also need valves adjusted, as that I can hear a tapping from the front of the motor when taking off, and at very low speeds.

It appears to have the stock air box and pipes. Does not smoke at all.

It runs well enough that I went cruising for 80 miles this afternoon.

What should I do first, as that money is a bit tight?

Oh, it has one other problem, hideous graphics on the tank!
[img

001 by Rowdius , on Flickr
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 20:29 by rowdy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Sep 2010 20:59 #395972 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic leaking gas from overflow kz650 SR
replace your float valve assemblies and repair or replace your fuel petcock that should solve most of your problems

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
03 Sep 2010 23:21 - 03 Sep 2010 23:24 #396007 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic leaking gas from overflow kz650 SR
rowdy wrote:

...kz650 SR...Petcock is shot, leaks in all three positions. Sometimes leaks fuel from the overflows. Sometimes not...slight hesitation from idle to 1/4 throttle, but might be my clutch control...new wires and plugs, but plugs 2 and 3 were slightly fouled, and were wet. Small backfire pops every now and then at nearly any throttle setting, except perhaps idle. Might also need valves adjusted, as that I can hear a tapping from the front of the motor when taking off, and at very low speeds. It appears to have the stock air box and pipes. Does not smoke at all. It runs well enough that I went cruising for 80 miles this afternoon. What should I do first, as that money is a bit tight?....

Would do the following:
Check and adjust valve clearances;
Perform clutch pushrod adjustment;
Assure fuel levels within specs (clear tube test);
Add SeaFoam to fuel in tank (hopefully clean carbs while riding);
Install petcock repair kit;
Assure air filter is clean, clear and unobstructed;
Perform whatever cam chain tensioner adjustment specified in FSM;
Assure correct ignition timing;
Assure advancer is functioning correctly (might need lubing or both cleaning and lubing).

If problems persist, may require carb disassembly and cleaning (especially pilot circuits) and sync.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 03 Sep 2010 23:24 by Patton.

More
04 Sep 2010 10:21 #396049 by sarge383
Replied by sarge383 on topic leaking gas from overflow kz650 SR
also might want to rebuild the accelerator pump to help with the hesitation off idle.

kz 650d2 sr 79

More
05 Sep 2010 06:45 #396240 by rowdy
Replied by rowdy on topic leaking gas from overflow kz650 SR
Thanks everyone. I've seafoamed the last two tanks of fuel. Things seem to be smoothing out. also adjusted the idle, as that the PO had it set way too high. Only got 120 miles out of the last tank! We'll see if the idle improves that any.

It hasn't leaked from the overflows in a day or so, so maybe that is going to clear up as well. Petcock is of course still trashed, but I am waiting on parts.