VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy

• thechief86
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • tuck in behind me, i'll show ya where to crash!
More
03 Sep 2010 10:01 #395838 by thechief86
hey guys, i just got meself a pretty nice 1980 kz1000, i think it's an ltd with the teardrop shaped cruiser style gas tank on it, and it has a kerker 4 into 1 megaphone with no baffle(i made one, and it's good now). when i picked it up, it didn't have the carbies on it, but did come with 2 sets of mikunis: a set of smoothbore VM29'S that are probably just as old as the bike, but in good shape, and a set of newer vacuum slider style ones that i have no idea what they're for. i put the vacuum slider ones on there and it runs, but seems to sputter a bit at idle, and pretty bad at full throttle. i still have the vm29's, but i don't know anything about carbs really, other than some really basic knowledge about jetting.
so the question is, should i try to get the vm29's working, or go with what i have and try to synch them up better to get it running smoother?
i'm ok with how it runs for now, but i do think it would be much faster if i could use full throttle, as for now its pretty good up until 3/4 throttle or so. i'm not racing this thing, but i don't like having something nice that could run better than it does.

1980 kz1000
22k miles(for now)
kerker 4 into 1,
mikuni carbies,
k&n pods,
mag wheels,
drag bars,
shiny paint :D
loud, low, and fast.
possible cafe project.
vin# KZT00B526919

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
03 Sep 2010 10:12 #395842 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
welcome....sounds like you have some good options and are the right place to get both sets working right....the intake boots may be too big for the 29's right now...it really depends on the exact bike you have...if you could post a few pictures of the bike,the bikes current carbs and set up,and the 29's from a bottom side up and from each side,then folks will steer you into the right directions on both.....

add your exact bike and general location and folks can better help to answer stuff in the future....

get the vin number and motor numbers written in your thread as well as some pics and you'll be rolling along in the carb department and others sooner.....

real 29's are fetching big bucks at present B)

p.s you can add stuff about you and the bike and location in your "signiture"

see the bottom of my reply and you can tell some about my bikes ect...peace Craig

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
03 Sep 2010 12:13 #395868 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
Those 29's seem to be like gold to some people. If you would like to donate them to me I will send you a receipt so you can write them off on your taxes. B) B) B) I will even pay shipping. ;)

The vacuum carbs probably came on the bike originally. The 29's were aftermarket back in the day

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• thechief86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Sep 2010 19:27 #396638 by thechief86
Replied by thechief86 on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
cool thanks guys. sorry i made a post and bailed. i actually rode the bike from nashville to memphis and back this weekend, once i messed with the carbies that are on it a bit and got it running pretty doggone good. the more i ride this bike, the more i like it, especially for the money i have in it, and the offers i've already had for it after having it for just one week. when i have more time, i'll post up some pictures and update my profile and signature.
i actually like this bike more than the R1 i sold earlier this year, even though it was faster, it just looked like every other crotch rocket on the market, even with lots of aftermarket stuff on it. my kz is one of 2 running kz's i've seen within an hour of my house, so that's pretty cool.

i dropped the VM29's off at my buddy's house to be cleaned and synchronized, and we'll try them out sometime this week when he's done with them. if i can't get them right, then they'll be for sale. what would they be worth? i'd sell them for a little less than that just to get them gone quicker.

1980 kz1000
22k miles(for now)
kerker 4 into 1,
mikuni carbies,
k&n pods,
mag wheels,
drag bars,
loud, low, and fast.
possible cafe project.
vin# KZT00B526919

More
06 Sep 2010 19:43 #396645 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
stock carbs on that bike were vn28s,id run the 29s myself B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
06 Sep 2010 19:46 #396648 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
thechief86 wrote:

I dropped the VM29's off at my buddy's house to be cleaned and synchronized, and we'll try them out sometime this week when he's done with them. if i can't get them right, then they'll be for sale. what would they be worth? i'd sell them for a little less than that just to get them gone quicker.

I've seen 29's go for $300-$400 on ebay. Personally I would hold on to them. Once their gone, their gone. I have a classic Kerker I took off my bike for stock exhaust but I won't sell it because I could never afford to replace it should I desire! Think about it! B)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
06 Sep 2010 19:51 #396651 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
@ 300 i'd buy em..lol...they pull down up to 700...unreal

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
06 Sep 2010 22:47 #396674 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
you don't want the smoothbores.
your bike wants the smoothbores.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• thechief86
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Sep 2010 17:00 #396860 by thechief86
Replied by thechief86 on topic VM29's or the ones that are on it? new kz guy
kawsakiman wrote:

you don't want the smoothbores.
your bike wants the smoothbores.

HAHA that big of a difference, huh? i'll get right on that then. like i said, if i can't get them running right, i'll certainly consider letting them go. hell, they might be just fine after being cleaned up.

1980 kz1000
22k miles(for now)
kerker 4 into 1,
mikuni carbies,
k&n pods,
mag wheels,
drag bars,
loud, low, and fast.
possible cafe project.
vin# KZT00B526919