air screws and pilot jet size

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2010 08:35 #394998 by stonemaster
air screws and pilot jet size was created by stonemaster
adjusting air screws, on three of em I turn all the way in and it drowns the bike out like its supposed to, but the other no change, clogged pilot jet maybe????

also I'm running 20 on pilot jets and have been fighting a lean problem which i solve by turning air screws in to slightly less than one turn out., would changing to 17.5 pilot jet (which I happen to have ) help this ??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2010 08:58 #395000 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic air screws and pilot jet size
Sometimes this can be caused by the carbs being unbalanced (out of sync). Since one carb will have it's slide lower, that one may have a far more sensitive air/mixture screw.

More
30 Aug 2010 09:27 #395006 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic air screws and pilot jet size
stonemaster wrote:

adjusting air screws, on three of em I turn all the way in and it drowns the bike out like its supposed to, but the other no change, clogged pilot jet maybe????

also I'm running 20 on pilot jets and have been fighting a lean problem which i solve by turning air screws in to slightly less than one turn out., would changing to 17.5 pilot jet (which I happen to have ) help this ??

I'm confused. You say you're fighting a "lean" problem ? Explain in further details. Secondly what type of carbs do you have ? With Mikuni CV type carbs, turning the air screw CW leans out the idle mixture, if you have Mikuni VM type carbs, turning the air screws CW richens the mixture.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2010 12:04 #395032 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic air screws and pilot jet size
VM 28 mikunis

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2010 12:08 #395035 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic air screws and pilot jet size
loudhvx wrote:

Sometimes this can be caused by the carbs being unbalanced (out of sync). Since one carb will have it's slide lower, that one may have a far more sensitive air/mixture screw.

uh the air screw on my #4 carb can be turned in either direction and no apparent change, when i turn the air screws all the way in on the other 3 carbs (one at a time of course) it bogs the motor down as it should. This is at idle of course.