What i think is a carb issue

• davidfellows
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Aug 2010 16:26 #394599 by davidfellows
What i think is a carb issue was created by davidfellows
Ok ive searched and couldnt find anything on this so im going to post this and see what happens. I own a 82 KZ1100 A2 ive redone the top end and when i put the carbs on (i cleaned them before hand) the bike is REAL hard to start im talking 57 ford during a blizzard hard i took the carbs back off (i luv the inline 4s) and went through the choke system with a fine toothe comb what i want to know is if any1 has any other suggestions out there

1982 KZ1100 and a 1992 VT600cd
Motorcycle Tech in training

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
28 Aug 2010 16:30 #394601 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic What i think is a carb issue
Will it start at all? Have you ruled out the ignition? Timing, proper voltage to the coils etc.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• davidfellows
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Aug 2010 16:50 #394605 by davidfellows
Replied by davidfellows on topic What i think is a carb issue
Yeah that would br good information to have wouldnt it :ohmy:

Yes it will start using either contact cleaner or carb cleaner sprayed into the carbs when its cold once it warms up it starts like it was a new bike. ive replaces the pickups with dyna brand pick ups and have the stock coils still attached new plug wires and plugs of course. with the Dyna pick ups the igniter was by passed as per the instructions ( i also lost my stock Tach, for now)

More
28 Aug 2010 18:02 #394615 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic What i think is a carb issue
If your tach worked before and then just quit,I would look at the connections on the coils.

Check how much voltage is going to the coils while you are checking. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
29 Aug 2010 06:57 #394713 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic What i think is a carb issue
davidfellows wrote:

Yes it will start using either contact cleaner or carb cleaner sprayed into the carbs when its cold once it warms up it starts like it was a new bike. ive replaces the pickups with dyna brand pick ups and have the stock coils still attached new plug wires and plugs of course. with the Dyna pick ups the igniter was by passed as per the instructions ( i also lost my stock Tach, for now)

when u install the Dyna and bypass the igniter,u will always lose the tach.U need to buy an aftermarket tach pickup and wire it in.bj

More
29 Aug 2010 07:32 #394730 by chance
Replied by chance on topic What i think is a carb issue
When you do get it started how does it run.. After top end job did you check compression? cams are lined up correctly?

• davidfellows
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Aug 2010 22:19 #394927 by davidfellows
cams lined up right havent done a compression check (forgot about that) put carbs back on today and it tried to start which had me jumping for joy then (it sounds like) the starter is not meshing with the reduction gear right might be the starter clutch but dosent sound like it normally does when that goes out have to pull the cover off and investigate YAY lol

• davidfellows
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Aug 2010 22:21 #394928 by davidfellows
hocbj23 wrote:

davidfellows wrote:

when u install the Dyna and bypass the igniter,u will always lose the tach.U need to buy an aftermarket tach pickup and wire it in.bj

Yep not overly worried about the tach until i get it running right thats another post later :cheer: