DynoJet kit help

More
24 Aug 2010 17:44 #393572 by havakaw
DynoJet kit help was created by havakaw
Ok so I want to install a Dyno Jet kit in my 82 kz1100 A2 shaft bike.I plan on running the big K-N pods and what looks to be a Kerker pipe with a 2" baffle.The carbs are stock Mikuni's.Has anybody done this,and what kit number did you use?The closest I can figure with the DJ kit fitment guide is for the KZ1100 LTD/Spectre.A CSR 1000 kit has the same parts,but with the addition of Main Jet air corrector plugs (kit #2301).Do you think the LTD/Spectre kit will work?Thanks.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Aug 2010 20:49 #393634 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic DynoJet kit help
Keep all of your stock airbox handy just in case you get tired of Podding around.:unsure:
I've got no idea if the kit is correct, you should call Dyno-Jet for a expert opinion for your application.:)

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Aug 2010 04:50 #393670 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic DynoJet kit help
I forget which kit I got, but I recommend getting it from Z1Enterprises. I had the same issue with which kit to get because my motor was a hybrid of 2 different kz1000 motors, so I called Z1, talked to chris who conference called dynojet and we tried to find out. The guy at DYno Jet had no clue what he was talking about and said we needed to talk to some guy who designs the kits, but he was on vacation...so DJ was of no help. Chris on the other hand talked to Jeff and together we figured it out. Not to mention Z1 has the best price.

More
25 Aug 2010 04:59 - 25 Aug 2010 05:04 #393671 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic DynoJet kit help
havakaw wrote:

Ok so I want to install a Dyno Jet kit in my 82 kz1100 A2 shaft bike.I plan on running the big K-N pods and what looks to be a Kerker pipe with a 2" baffle.The carbs are stock Mikuni's.Has anybody done this,and what kit number did you use?The closest I can figure with the DJ kit fitment guide is for the KZ1100 LTD/Spectre.A CSR 1000 kit has the same parts,but with the addition of Main Jet air corrector plugs (kit #2301).Do you think the LTD/Spectre kit will work?Thanks.

I frequent many other air cooled motorcycle forums, and the #1 "mod" that everybody wants to do is add pods. You are quickly going to realize that pods DO NOT WORK with Mikuni CV type carbs ! It's almost impossible to correctly jet the midrange carb circut with the addition of pods unless you have a dyno in you're garage, and you have a ton of time to invest in jet changes. Trust me on this one, put your stock airbox back on, and if you want the Kerker, just bump the pilots richer one size, and shim the stock OEM kawasaki needles. Your bike should run awesome.

From my experiences those pre-determined "dynojet kits" are a complete waste of time and money on a street driven bike !

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 25 Aug 2010 05:04 by Polar_Bus.

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Aug 2010 05:08 - 25 Aug 2010 05:11 #393673 by 9am53
Polar_Bus wrote:

havakaw wrote:

I frequent many other air cooled motorcycle forums, and the #1 "mod" that everybody wants to do is add pods. You are quickly going to realize that pods DO NOT WORK with Mikuni CV type carbs ! It's almost impossible to correctly jet the midrange carb circut with the addition of pods unless you have a dyno in you're garage, and you have a ton of time to invest in jet changes. Trust me on this one, put your stock airbox back on, and if you want the Kerker, just bump the pilots richer one size, and shim the stock OEM kawasaki needles. Your bike should run awesome.

From my experiences those pre-determined "dynojet kits" are a complete waste of time and money on a street driven bike !

I have to disagree, I have never dealt with tuning any carbs and despite being told not to pod my CV carbs I did. After the original DJ kit install it took me 2 subsequent re-jets to get things right. If I knew what I was doing it would likely have been only 1 more. Maybe manual slide carbs are better suited for a DJ kit, but the BS34 pod paranoia is overblown a little I think.

The only thing I can say that is not as nice with pods (and for all I know it could be this way with regular carbs too) is that the bike is more sensitive to weather conditions. I have my bike setup to run like a deere in the cooler weather (which is the majority of my riding season) but in hotter days it is a tad rich. Before the kit I never thought about it...
Last edit: 25 Aug 2010 05:11 by 9am53.

More
25 Aug 2010 08:02 #393712 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic DynoJet kit help
i have innstalled plenty of dyno jet kits and i have only every had problems with one and that is because the parts department ordered the wrong by mistake all the other ones worked really well right out of the box i have installed them on older bikes with pods and newer sport bikes with airboxes it really wakens up a bike.if you follow the directions to the letter and are honest with your self as to what has been to you exhaust and motor. i have innstalled at least a couple of hundred on h-d's over the years and nothing woke up a stock keihen cv carb more.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

More
25 Aug 2010 10:38 #393741 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic DynoJet kit help
The issue with pod filters on CV carbs is a filter design problem with certain brand pods and select 34mm CV carbs.

Around the perimeter of the carb are air passageways to feed the pilot circuit and raise the slide.

The Emgo (and some other brand filters) have a lip on the inside of the rubber boot that goes over the carb. This lip partially covers the passageways. VERY careful trimming with a razor knife to remove a VERY small amount of rubber will often solve this issue. You have to be careful to not cut through the rubber.

The K&N filters do NOT have this problem.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
25 Aug 2010 10:53 #393744 by 9am53
neither do APE filters

More
25 Aug 2010 16:13 - 25 Aug 2010 16:21 #393801 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic DynoJet kit help
You guys can applaude pods all you want, but for every single "I feel more power" story with pods, I read ten "why do I now have a huge bog ?" stories. To each his own. But the 5 hp you "possibly" gain above 8K rpm, and the fact that pods kill low end throttle response, simply isn't worth all the jetting aggravation. This is especially true, where I will ride in temps ranging from 90F down to the upper 30's . I try to jet for a compramise, i'm a little rich in the summer heat, and a bit lean in the coldest fall days. Oh, and I forgot to mention PRAY you never get caught in heavy rain with pods either.... :(

Here's some very interesting "pod" experiences:

Download the .pdf article entitled "in search of free lunch"

www.mediafire.com/?7ttgomzmmjz

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 25 Aug 2010 16:21 by Polar_Bus.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Aug 2010 16:18 #393802 by Motor Head
Don't even have to leave the site, kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=3&id=393790
Another podder looking for a stock air box to make it more reliable/ streetable. :laugh:

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
25 Aug 2010 17:27 #393818 by havakaw
Replied by havakaw on topic DynoJet kit help
Hey Motor Head,your A2 bike is EXACTLY the same one I've got!!Although I removed the fairing and bags and am returning it to a "Naked" KZ.I did put the big pods and a DJ kit on my 750h bike with a V/H 4-1,and it runs great right out of the box.We'll see how this one goes,I guess.

'80 KZ 750 LTD-H
'82 KZ 1100 A-2 Shafty (ex-bagger)

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Aug 2010 17:32 #393820 by Motor Head
Yep, have you ever checked your fuel economy for a before and after? So when you go with the pods and jetting you will know the change.
Where I live the wind blows every day, the later in the day the harder it blows until sundown. Pods would not be real good on a CV carb around here, big altitude changes and temp changes. I like having little carb maintenance once set up.
Great bikes, short shift it all day, then when the road opens just haul #ss!