carb float issue

• painfulink333
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Aug 2010 10:22 #393232 by painfulink333
carb float issue was created by painfulink333
hello again ....i have a 77 650 ....had a few issues in the past few months since i bought her ...i have worked out most of them with help from this site ..i ahve just added some new air filters to my bike ...i have single filters to each carb now ...when i put them on the bike idled nice ...i let it warm up and went and put her in ngear /she was boggin down a little bit in first gear so i tinkered with the pilot screws i believe on the side of the carbs ...they were all set different ...so i screwed theem in seperatly like i think they should be ...i turned them in til tight then backed them each off about 1 complete turn ...this seemed to work great ...it idled right about 1500 rpm...blipped the throttle ...it was great ...took it down the road ...came back ...put the helmet on went aout 2 miles and it was runnign like a raped ape ...no issues ....til i stopped her and sat her in the driveway ....i noticed gas coming out the fourth carb or the one to right if you were sitting on the bike looking down at them ..im thinking it is a stuck float would i be right ???and wahts the best way to fix it with out taking the carbs off ...any chance of knocking it loose with tapping the float bowl ....thanks

1977 kz650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2010 13:48 - 23 Aug 2010 13:48 #393262 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic carb float issue
Some options available ---

With engine running, rap smartly and repetitively against the float bowl.

With engine not running, remove drain screw and allow fuel to flow through, hoping to flush clean the float valve interface where needle meets seat.

Could also mix some Kroil or other carb cleaner product to fuel in the tank, hoping it will clean any crud that may be preventing a good float valve seal.

If not already done, should also install an aftermarket inline fuel filter.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Aug 2010 13:48 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.