Very Confused

More
13 Apr 2006 15:54 #39280 by mrkocher330
Very Confused was created by mrkocher330
I have a 1980 kz440 and was running ok (would not go over 5k) for a little bit until i decided to take the carbs off and clean them out. I did this and because of the bike not going over 5k i thought it was running a bit lean so I raised the float height (I did this because the pilot screws seemed to be blocked off) so, I put the carbs back on and I tried to start the bike and it would not fire so I decided to push start it, it did but i could only get it to idle (when ever i would give it throttle it would die out) then I started to play with what seems to be the only type of adjustment on the carbs they are the 2 screws near the throttle and after I did that i couldn't get it started I can get it started while push starting but it will die out. How do I reset theese 2 screws to the default position and what is there purpose? also I noticed the spark looks weak which i understand is a common problem for theese bikes would that be the cause of my problems?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2006 05:10 #39423 by KB02
Replied by KB02 on topic Very Confused
The float hieght shouldn't effect any rich or lean running conditions. It simply keeps the fuel at a level that the jet can suck it up. If your slow jets are blocked, I suggest taking them out (if you can, removing the carbs if you can't) and cleaning them out. If you can't get the bike to run over 5k, sounds like your mains might be a bit blocked up as well.

As for the screws you played with, those would be the air adjustment screws (they basicaly fine tune the air-fuel mixture). Your manual should have the proper setting. Usually it's something lke "turn al the way in then back it out 1 1/2 turns..." or someting like that.

More
14 Apr 2006 05:51 #39429 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Very Confused
Changing the float height can make a bike lean or rich. I suggest you set the amount of fuel in the float bowl using the service fuel method. I also suggest you tune the bike... valves and timing before attempting to adjust the carburetors. Also, clean and lube the ignition advance. Take a look at the "coil powering" tech tip in the Filebase section for the weak spark. The two screws you refer to are the idle adjustment screws and affect the air/fuel mixture at idle and just off idle. Once the bike is underway, air is drawn in through the main venturi. Again, I stress doing the tune up and maintenance issues FIRST and coil powering mod before attempting carb adjustments.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
14 Apr 2006 06:47 #39448 by mrkocher330
Replied by mrkocher330 on topic Very Confused
I will do all the tune ups but the weather is quite crappy here in jersey today so not today but I will get back