are my carbs/cylinders getting fuel?

More
20 Aug 2010 13:48 #392540 by bobbisman
are my carbs/cylinders getting fuel? was created by bobbisman
so i bought a 78 kz650 a few years ago from a deadbeat seller. bought the bike and drove it home which took all of 10 minutes. ran inside to get my dad so he could check it out and the bike would not start. there was a charging issue which the seller conviniently forgot to mention. so the bike has been sitting for a couple years. after replacing some electrical components i finally think i have the charging issue figured out but now the bike wont start. i did get it to start once but it took my about 30 minutes of messing with the choke and cranking on the start button. i have spark and everything but am starting to think the carbs my have gummed up over the years from sitting and that its not getting fuel for some reason. is there a way for me to verify if this is the case? thanks again guys. youre always a huge help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kaw a bong a
  • User
  • Have a 1978 kz 650 b and a 1976 kz 900z1ltd
More
20 Aug 2010 16:53 #392572 by kaw a bong a
Replied by kaw a bong a on topic are my carbs/cylinders getting fuel?
If it has been sitting for years,it might not be getting any fuel at all,the petcock might be bad,mine was,and replacing it would be the answer to that,so check for fuel at the carbs by installing a see thru filter.then go from there,a good carb cleaning would be next.oh fresh fule would be a givin.

1978kz650b 1976kz900 first bike 1979kz 400

More
20 Aug 2010 16:53 #392573 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic are my carbs/cylinders getting fuel?
If you let the carbs sit for a couple of years with gas in them then, yes they are going to need a good cleaning. By cleaning I don't mean take the carb bowls off and spray carb cleaner inside. You need to take every jet, screw and needle out of each carb and make sure verything is spotless including all the small passageways inside the carb body.

More
20 Aug 2010 21:13 #392632 by bobbisman
Replied by bobbisman on topic are my carbs/cylinders getting fuel?
thanks guys. now as far as the filter goes. i have 2 hoses coming from the petcock. one from the back (if youre looking at the pet cock) and one on the left side. the one from the back has a clear yello hose. would this happen to be the same hose that i would put the filter on? it has fuel in it but that doesnt mean it hasnt been there a while either cause ive never thought to check. i still plan on cleaning the carbs anyway though