Rebuilding Keihin CV36 - It's my mess now

• mwriders
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
19 Aug 2010 12:59 - 19 Aug 2010 13:21 #392168 by mwriders
I knew that the Keihin CV36 carbs on my 1980 KZ440B1 had been "worked on," because somebody had tried to replace the float bowl 'O' rings with gasket material (yes, they leaked). I had no idea how ham handed that work had been until I got inside them this week.

Here's the first question. The carb diagram in the shop manual shows a small washer and 'O' ring on the end of pilot screw, below the spring. They're not there, but new ones did come with my rebuild kit. Does that mean that whoever touched the carbs last tossed or lost them? Or, does that mean that there is some minor variation in these carbs in which those items weren't present? My instinct is to install them, but what do smarter people like you think?

The second question has to do with the main jets. They have been pretty well butchered and are torn up badly around the screw slots. I imagine that they should be replaced, but I'm not certain what the OEM size for those jets is. I've replaced the stock air box, so want to use stock jets. The mannual says #75, but #68 for the U.S. model. Does that have to do with where the bike was sold or where it was assembled (this one came from Japan)?

I'm looking for experienced advice on either issue. Thanks.

the line diagram is here

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Aug 2010 13:21 by mwriders. Reason: still trying to get the diagram to work

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2010 17:34 #392255 by JR
Hi mwriders. I have Keihin CV34s on my 750 and I can say that those tiny washers and O rings on the end of the pilot mixture screws are absolutely necessary and the bike will run crappy if they are missing. There should also be a spring in there. Your instinct is 100% right on.

Regarding the jet size I cant comment but you may find some usefull info at www.kz400.com .

If you need jets go to Z1enterprises.com and type Keihin in the search box. The ones which come up fit my Keihin CV34s and while they dont list the smaller 60 - 70 sizes you should call them as I have gotten these sizes there. If you have to experiment the jets are cheap.

Good luck

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.