Colortune on a 82 550 ltd and 82 750 ltd.

More
19 Aug 2010 10:39 #392147 by apbling
I searched around here and found some info, but not what I was looking for... so please bear with me if this is redundant...

I ordered a colortune because I heard it works nice and I thought I'd give it a shot. I've read the online instructions and it seems simple enough, but I still have questions:
1. Do I do this before, after or in place of vacuum synching?
2. Since I can only adjust pilot circuits on my 550 ltd and 750 ltd (TK22 and CV34 carbs), does it pay to even do any open throttle testing other than just as an FYI?
3. Any advice from anyone before I start?
4. I really want to see what my 550 is doing at WOT because it is missing. Is it safe to do so with this plug?

Thanks,
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
19 Aug 2010 11:40 - 19 Aug 2010 11:43 #392158 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Colortune on a 82 550 ltd and 82 750 ltd.
Despite some of my gripings about the colortune plug previously, i have found it to be a quicker tool for mixture settings more recently and it has become one of my tuning tool constants. It always impresses me with the quickness of finding faults, and once you learn the right color to look for max idle power, its really fast on anything.

A basic bench sync should be performed as usual, prior to attempting mixture/fine sync adjustments.

Basically just turn the idle down low and tap (or better - mist water) on your exhaust pipes after a couple minutes of idling. A poor sync will result in 1 or more pipes not firing/cold (basically the water wont sizzle/mist). This must be fixed before going further - perform a proper bench sync, then begin.

1. Use the colortune to set your idle mixtures, and to check for correct cylinder mixtures upon accelleration (revving) as per instructions.

2. Don't use the color tune for anything above 1/2 throttle, as it is not designed for extreme abuse/length of operation. - It is just for setting idle mixtures, and checking basic quick accelleration operation.

3. Yeah...

4. Safe probly, but not advised by myself or the manufacturer. If your bike is missing @ WOT despite the rpm you do this, improve your ignition setup, which usually means performing all of the maintenence procedures in the manual.
This can also be caused by running to large a plug gap on an inneficient ignition system.

Make sure your getting full voltage to your coils.
make sure the Dwell, Timing, and points are set properly/clean, not overly worn.

Replace the plug wires and plugs, and check plug caps especially.

GL!

Oh PS, the colortune doesnt seat properly with just finger tightness like they say in the instructions - give it an extra 1/4 turn with a socket to prevent compression loss.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2010 11:43 by TeK9iNe.

More
19 Aug 2010 12:45 #392166 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Colortune on a 82 550 ltd and 82 750 ltd.
Do the instructions have a color chart? Or will be able to learn quickly?

So, I do a bench synch, then colortune...should I vaccuum afterwards or ditch it all together?