left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?

More
13 Apr 2006 05:38 #39162 by bluegill
1980 kz750 E1 with Keihins

(item 1)
Had some problems yesterday getting the bike to run after it warmed up and the choke was off. May have flooded it, but eventually it started and ran great for a ride lasting about 1/2 hr.

(item 2)
I usually remember to shut off the fuel, but like an idiot I parked it and left the petcock open. It's a Pingel, non-vacuum. Choke was not on.

(item 3)
This morning there's gas on the floor coming from the stock airbox, not from the hoses coming from the bottom of the carb bowls, which are dry.

Is this normally where gas would leak if the petcock was left open?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2006 08:41 #39182 by lifeliberty
Replied by lifeliberty on topic left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?
yes. it may also leak into your cylinders, past the rings and into the oil, that was the problem I was having with a bad petcock once.

More
13 Apr 2006 19:27 #39339 by JR
Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I would have thought overflowing gas would come out the overflow tubes before the airbox.

................................................................................................................
Woodstock ON Canada
1980 kz750E1 4->1 K&N pods

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
13 Apr 2006 19:38 #39341 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?
JR wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...I would have thought overflowing gas would come out the overflow tubes before the airbox.

Me too, till I took the over flow tubes off and looked in them, the PO had jammed ball bearings into the tubes to prevent them from flowing out..... what a great fix eh? and hes a mechanic!! wtf? none of my stuff is ever going to his shop......
Check out your tubes, they may be blocked like mine were
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
14 Apr 2006 05:00 #39421 by bluegill
Replied by bluegill on topic left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?
Nope. The carbs are Wired George'd. I put the tubes on myself. FWIW I started the bike and had a nice ride yesterday. I'm going with the "if it ain't broke..." thing for now.

More
14 Apr 2006 06:42 #39447 by lifeliberty
Replied by lifeliberty on topic left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?
gas did come out the overflow tubes as well. It made a mess in the living room.

I would smell you oil for gas. gas in oil thins out the oil and drys out your gaskets.

More
14 Apr 2006 14:52 #39538 by RomSpaceKnight
Replied by RomSpaceKnight on topic left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?
If I had to take a guess I would suspect a float needle in bowl stuck. This would allow gas to overflow badly maybe more tha overflow tube could handle. I would definitely check for gas in oil sump. Do you have a real good filter inline?

Post edited by: RomSpaceKnight, at: 2006/04/14 17:53

More
14 Apr 2006 15:22 #39550 by bluegill
Replied by bluegill on topic left petcock open, gas in airbox, normal?
I have a filter inline, and the bike's only been ridden about 10 miles since WG's carbs were installed, so I doubt it's a bowl. However I do have gas in the oil now so I'll be changing oil when I change the leaky shifter seal as soon as I get the parts from Jeff@z1. Thanks guys. It's always something.