kz550 carb problem

More
14 Aug 2010 05:22 #390797 by andykev
kz550 carb problem was created by andykev
I bought my bike back in march and I have had problems with the carb since day 1. I can get it to idle around 12-1300 rpm's but if I quickly give I gas it bogs down. I can slowly give it gas and it does better. When I ride it, it struggles to accelerate unless I hold full throttle . I don't have a stock airbox, instead I have 4 cone filters. The hose that normally runs from the crankcase to the airbox leads no where. I have cleaned the carve, ran seafoam, put high temp silicone on the intake boots bc they were cracked a little. I feels as if it is missing when I accelerates. I'll try to upload pics of the bike soon. Any help is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2010 05:53 #390801 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz550 carb problem
Are the carbs jetted for the pods? Will need to be significantly larger than stock jets to accommodate those. I don't know anything about the carbs on your bike, so I can't recommend jet sizes for you, but that's the first thing I'd look at is to make sure your jetting is accurate.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
14 Aug 2010 10:34 #390831 by andykev
Replied by andykev on topic kz550 carb problem
As far as I know they r stock jets. Would putting an airbox back on help?

More
14 Aug 2010 14:59 #390880 by anarki650
Replied by anarki650 on topic kz550 carb problem
Most likely. Either that or rejetting your carbs to let them flow enough gas to keep up the huge increase in air coming in the pods.

09 Kawasaki ER6n
77 kz650b1 cafe rebirth project
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube, that's why God made fast motorcycles..."
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Omaha NE

More
14 Aug 2010 15:09 #390883 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic kz550 carb problem
IF you have CV carbs on your bike, you simply can't beat the stock box for proper carb function.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.