89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke

More
10 Aug 2010 19:15 #389989 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic 89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke
kawsakiman wrote:

remove the plugs and clean the idle jets and the idle circuits, there plugged.
advise customer that he needs new intakes.
then walk away from someone who does not have the means to pay for your services. your looking for a huge headache.

WHAT HE SAID !

1984 750 Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2010 19:42 - 10 Aug 2010 19:49 #389995 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic 89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke
Patton wrote:

blipco wrote:

...I've fixed them with black Permatex hi-temp silicone gasket sealer. Pick up a tube at Auto Zone. Take them in the house and clean them with dish soap to get all the grease off first. About 4 bucks....

Reportedly seals okay temporarily until sooner or later deteriorated by the gasoline.

Conversely, gasoline-proof sealants typically won't take the heat. At least none I've found.

Here's what the Permatex folks say ---

Permatex® Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Sealant
OEM specified. A fast-curing, rubber gasket sealant, particularly well suited to enhance performance of pre-cut cork, paper and composite gaskets. This unique RTV sealant is exceptional for filling surface abnormalities or scratches resulting from scraping of old gaskets, assuring you a failure-free installation and long, trouble-free operating life. Temperature range -65°F to 500°F (-54°C to 260°C). Highly fluid-resistant, permanently flexible and non-shrinking for years of reliable sealing.

Suggested Applications: As a dressing/sealant for transmission pan gaskets, water pumps, thermostats, oil pan gaskets and more. Not recommended for use with cut rubber gaskets or applications in contact with gasoline.

Good Fortune! :)

nobody's saying it's a permanent fix but it will work for awhile, I believe that means DIRECT contact with pure gasoline liquid not a atomized mist but I could be wrong
Last edit: 10 Aug 2010 19:49 by stonemaster.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2010 19:45 - 10 Aug 2010 19:46 #389998 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic 89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke
kawsakiman wrote:

remove the plugs and clean the idle jets and the idle circuits, there plugged.
advise customer that he needs new intakes.
then walk away from someone who does not have the means to pay for your services. your looking for a huge headache.[/quote)

what about the money wasted on an obviously inept mechanic who couldn't figure out the obvious.? Sounds like good advice, Send him on his way and maybe next time he'll get a real mechanic

Last edit: 10 Aug 2010 19:46 by stonemaster.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
10 Aug 2010 19:49 - 10 Aug 2010 20:39 #389999 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic 89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke
+1 on that! Charging for a repair that's not repaired?
Paying for training? To much of that out there, Don't you know that's why Doctors are called "Medical Practitioners", still practicing on you!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 10 Aug 2010 20:39 by Motor Head. Reason: Add

More
11 Aug 2010 02:22 #390043 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke
Here's a link to some helpful carb info :cheer:

www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

But no magic as to holder renovation.:(

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Aug 2010 21:42 #390258 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic 89 Kz1000 police won't run off choke
I would just replace those intake boots, and I'm as poor as they get, Heh. B) I've often wondered though, if they weren't separated at the metal. How it would work out if you:

Lightly coated them with a good high temp flange sealant, and had some pre-cut pieces of a bicycle tube to "tightly stretch" over them before the sealant set up. Leaving enough tube to trim up even with the carb edge. I'm pretty sure the carb clamps would fit over it and still pull into their seats. I dunno if the heat would expand the tube enough to relieve the stretch or not.

Might work long enough to save up the 80 bucks for new ones. Cost would be minimal, and at least they'd still be a pretty black.. if it was a complete fail. :)

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.