Reading plugs on my 1980 750 LTD

More
08 Aug 2010 12:33 #389349 by apbling
Reading plugs on my 1980 750 LTD was created by apbling
So I have about 800 miles on my 1980 750 since I got it running right. I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like. I've never experienced this before, but 1,3 and 4 looked brand new. No coloring at all on the white ceramic collar by the electrode. #2 had a soft chocolate color, which I decided was good to go.

SO, does this mean that my other ones might a a tad on the lean side? I almost always to have to choke the bike to start it (unless it was running less than 2 hrs before). But I only need the choke for maybe 20 sec. When cold it idles about 1.2k and when warmed 1.5k....

any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2010 19:43 #389498 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Reading plugs on my 1980 750 LTD
Sounds like it's running pretty good.

Is it possible the brown plug is getting some oil from a leaky valve guide seal?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 Aug 2010 06:21 #389569 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Reading plugs on my 1980 750 LTD
well, I guess it could be... but it is just a nice light tan coloring... I would think if it's getting oil it would be darker. It's possible though. Not sure how I could verify other than what I did: Turned 1,3 & 4 air/fuel screws out 1/4 turn (richer). Seemed to warm up much quicker... so I'll put some more miles on and double check. I was just amazed to see plugs look almost brand new with that many miles on them... I was expecting to see some more coloring.

More
09 Aug 2010 11:49 #389614 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Reading plugs on my 1980 750 LTD
Reading spark plugs is common knowledge in many publications. They will show you pictures of spark plugs and expect you to duplicate the color as shown. (Thats cool.) Ever notice your plugs never really look the same as the pictures? Here is what we did years ago!!!!! During the tuning process, NGK spark plugs never seemed to show the coco brown color we were after. We would switch to Champion spark plugs for the tuning process. (Oh no, Champions?) Yes, Champion spark plugs show color better and are easier to read. Then of course we switch back to NGKs

From another thread not me