Random overflow from carbs.....

More
08 Aug 2010 11:07 - 08 Aug 2010 11:08 #389335 by ELCouz
Random overflow from carbs..... was created by ELCouz
Hi,

I've noticed recently that sometimes when i stop some carbs start (really random... sometime it can be without leaking for weeks then one day one start to drip but will be ok at the next engine stop) to overflow into the intake but otherwise okay prior to riding.

The carb has been freshly rebuilded last week. Float level is okay also. (did the clear tube test)

Prior mounting the carb rack i did a 24 hour test with gas tank on Prime and let the carb with gas inside to see if one is gonna drip gas or not with time.... everything was perfect!

This is more prone to happen when the engine is very hot (hard ride, long stop ,etc)...

Did someone put a curse on my carbs ? If no :laugh:, what can be the cause of all this random mess?

thank you,
laurent

1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe
Last edit: 08 Aug 2010 11:08 by ELCouz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Aug 2010 11:22 #389336 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Random overflow from carbs.....
Did you over look to install a good in line fuel filter?
Did you just clean or put kits with new needle and seats?

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
08 Aug 2010 11:33 #389341 by ELCouz
Replied by ELCouz on topic Random overflow from carbs.....

Did you over look to install a good in line fuel filter?

Good idea, I will check for a fuel filter especially there are cheap.

Did you just clean or put kits with new needle and seats?

Cleaned thoroughly and install 4 new rebuild kit with jets and needle valve / seats.

regards,
laurent

1982 KZ810-R1 GPZ with hindle 4-into-1 pipe

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
08 Aug 2010 11:37 #389342 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Random overflow from carbs.....
OK, so what I would do is to put in the fuel filter, then turn your petcock off. Loosen and drain all of the fuel out of the bowl drain screws. Then turn the petcock back on and let it run for a minute, while taking a screw driver handle and gently taping on the float bowls. This should rinse out any small debris that might be on a float needle.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
10 Aug 2010 00:50 #389812 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Random overflow from carbs.....
Also, when you replace the needles and seats, if they are not exactly like the ones that came out, the fuel level may be set differently. It's always a good idea to check that the operating level is correct.

The manual will have those specs.