Fuel taps and float bowls: Gas leaking?

More
02 Aug 2010 08:47 #387642 by barquirt
Fuel taps and float bowls: Gas leaking? was created by barquirt
This question relates to a fuel tap and carbuertors on a 1979 650SR. Tap is vacuum operated, the carbs have the accelerator pump on carb body #2.

I have rebuilt the fuel tap with a repair kit from K&N. And had the carburetors professionally cleaned and rebuilt with new gaskets, needles, seats, floats, etc.

Now: when I add gas to the fuel tank the petcock flows fuel from ON, RES or PRIME settings. It won't shut off.

As a result, the carburetors overflow. ALSO, I hooked up a single-line remote fuel tank (ON/OFF only tap) and when I leave the tap in the ON position the carbs overflow. It is as if the needles/seats won't shut off. The carbs leak out the overflow tubes on the bottom of the bowls, nowhere else.

What did I miss? Where is my leak coming from?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2010 08:55 #387643 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Fuel taps and float bowls: Gas leaking?
Many times when a carb is disassembled and cleaned, the needles will stick a bit until everything inside settles into place. Put the bike on the center stand or have someone hold it upright. With the fuel on, try tapping on each of the float bowls with the plastic end of a screw driver. This sometimes vibrates the needles into place. Leaking like this can happen even on clean carbs that have been dry for a while. It may take a good bit of tapping to make the needles drop.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
03 Aug 2010 07:57 - 03 Aug 2010 07:59 #387883 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Fuel taps and float bowls: Gas leaking?
A properly rebuilt petcock will not flow a drop in the ON or RES position without vacuum present at the diaphram. PRIME flows all the time.

A properly rebuilt set of carbs does not leak. No matter how much gas/pressure is present on a gravity fuel line.

Float needle/seats should be set and pressure tested properly prior to the carbs being put in service.

Sorry for your frustration, I would talk to your mechanic.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2010 07:59 by TeK9iNe.