CSR 1000 carb rebuild and jetting

More
23 Jul 2010 10:01 #384920 by CSRjunky
CSR 1000 carb rebuild and jetting was created by CSRjunky
Just an update on what I did for my 82 CSR 1000 to get the carburetion correct. First I pulled out all 4 carbs and did a thorough cleaning. They had some brown tacky gunk in the bowls partially blocking the main jets, NASTY! I installed 132.5 mains (up from 127.5) and put 4 washers under the jet needle C clip to raise them .060". This adjustment went way to far, my mileage dropped from 44 to 38 or less. So I took out 3 of the 4 washers and she runs just tops now and my mileage is back to 42-43 mpg. I had to richen up just a little because I added a K&N filter and a 4-1 V&H header. I have access to a gas analyzer so I plan on testing it for proper A/F ratio.
I also replaced the fuel line and put in an in-line filter. Be aware if the filter doesn't have enough flow rate you will drain the carb bowls every few miles, you will stall and sit a few minutes for them to refill and do it all over again until you get home. I know, it happened to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2010 11:44 - 23 Jul 2010 11:47 #384966 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic CSR 1000 carb rebuild and jetting
CSRjunky wrote:

...if the filter doesn't have enough flow rate you will drain the carb bowls every few miles, you will stall and sit a few minutes for them to refill and do it all over again until you get home. I know, it happened to me.

Reportedly, some lawn mower style inline fuel filters have insufficient flow volume for a motorcycle.

A dirty inline filter may also flow insufficient fuel volume.

The inline filters available at Z1E and most motorcycle dealers and shops perform quite well.

For Z1E filters, click > Z1E filters

Here's my fave > Inline fuel filter

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 23 Jul 2010 11:47 by Patton.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
23 Jul 2010 13:19 #384986 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic CSR 1000 carb rebuild and jetting
CSRjunky wrote:

Be aware if the filter doesn't have enough flow rate you will drain the carb bowls every few miles, you will stall and sit a few minutes for them to refill and do it all over again until you get home. I know, it happened to me.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice...

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
29 Jul 2010 09:13 #386776 by CSRjunky
Replied by CSRjunky on topic CSR 1000 carb rebuild and jetting
The first filter was from the auto store, I just went through all of the ones in stock to find one that had hose barbs on each end. Apparently it was very fine and the gravity flow rate through it was slow. I went back and tried again. This time there is no problem. Maybe the first one just got plugged up quickly. I installed it when I rebuilt the carbs , removed and flushed the gas tank. Maybe that stirred up some sediment that clogged it quickly.