Carb/airbox boot installation?

More
23 Jul 2010 09:55 #384917 by apbling
Carb/airbox boot installation? was created by apbling
I'm planning on taking my carbs off my 1980 750 LTD tomorrow to clean them hopefully the last time for a while. I was curious how others get their carbs back in. I've been folding over my airbox boots on the carb end and then installing them. I think put the carbs in and fold the boots back over the carbs.

Now, I think this may be a little hard on the boots, especially the inner ones which are becoming a little bit hard. I was wondering if anyone else has a method to installing their carbs and airbox boots. I was thinking of a way that I could loosen the box up and leave the boots not folded over...

Thanks,
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2010 10:53 #384941 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Carb/airbox boot installation?
I have read soaking the boots in boiling water softens them up and makes it easier to install.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
23 Jul 2010 10:55 #384942 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Carb/airbox boot installation?
I do something similar. I soften them with my wife's old hair dryer and then move quickly. I was refering to more of the actual install steps. For example, does someone put the carbs in first then do the boots, or do the boots, fold them over, then put carbs in or some variation of that.

More
15 Aug 2010 12:05 #391040 by zibbyds
Replied by zibbyds on topic Carb/airbox boot installation?
does anyone have a pic of this part of the bike totally assembled? from carbs back? and maybe the gas line to petcock. anything would be helpful as i just got this 77 kz 650 project bike and dont knwo much about it. thanks in advance