carb help needed! sorry!

More
19 Jul 2010 19:58 #383984 by machsp33d
carb help needed! sorry! was created by machsp33d
so I picked up a 79 750 twin bobber project that a buddy got as a box of parts. Last he knew it ran before the guy before him took it apart. It came with pod filters but they were beat so I got some new ones. I also took the carbs apart and sprayed them down carefully not to mess anything up because it had the same problems as they were when I got them. The bike seems like it wants to run strong but all it wants to do is spit, sputter, pop and blow smoke back out through the filters as for a flame out the pipe. Also it seems to do better without the choke on...(in the up position) Any clue?:blink: thanks guys!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2010 21:13 #384006 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic carb help needed! sorry!
machsp33d wrote:

so I picked up a 79 750 twin bobber project that a buddy got as a box of parts. Last he knew it ran before the guy before him took it apart. It came with pod filters but they were beat so I got some new ones. I also took the carbs apart and sprayed them down carefully not to mess anything up because it had the same problems as they were when I got them. The bike seems like it wants to run strong but all it wants to do is spit, sputter, pop and blow smoke back out through the filters as for a flame out the pipe. Also it seems to do better without the choke on...(in the up position) Any clue?:blink: thanks guys!

Might want to check the timing and make sure your advancer is free (not stuck).

hard to diagnose carbs from afar, but I would flush the fuel tank and petcock and install inline filters for starters. Clean the carbs and set the bowl fuel levels first off. Take the slides out and check the diaphragms for holes or slits.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
20 Jul 2010 19:32 - 20 Jul 2010 19:43 #384207 by machsp33d
Replied by machsp33d on topic carb help needed! sorry!
what is the advancer? is it behind the points? the thing with the spring? Im starting to think its the timing from some other post I have found...
Last edit: 20 Jul 2010 19:43 by machsp33d.

More
20 Jul 2010 20:13 #384246 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic carb help needed! sorry!
The mechanical ignition advancer sits behind a CD sized cover. It's job is to retard/advance the timing according to rpm's.

To check it,with the engine off, give it a twist with your hand, if it sticks and does not return to original position, remove,clean and reinstall it.

Some light lubrication like 3-in-one or sewing machine oil on the moving parts(weight pivots and spring attachment places)are about all it needs.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
20 Jul 2010 23:29 #384281 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic carb help needed! sorry!
machsp33d wrote:

what is the advancer? is it behind the points? the thing with the spring? Im starting to think its the timing from some other post I have found...

On a 750 twin, it is behind the points breaker plate on the right hand side of the crankshaft. There is a small round cover with two screws to get at the points and advancer assembly.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
21 Jul 2010 04:25 #384291 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic carb help needed! sorry!
machsp33d wrote:

Um I'm pretty sure up is choke on, not off. Which is usually a sign that airflow is incorrect.

I'd check your advancer like everyone said, 5 minuted job anyway, and definitely check the diaphragms for holes/tears, another 5 minute job. Might as well check needle clip position while yer at that one. After that.

Just before you go tearing a bunch of stuff apart though. I have a fix for them nasty pods, if you want to give it a try. This is like a $5.00 experiment/fix so it won't hurt the pocket too bad.. chuckle

I've been doing it for years, because well I'm poor and jets are a pain in the nads to find the last few years, and cost well, MONEY! Not to mention they're kind of a guessing game to get right.

If you find this works for you like it has for my many thousands of miles I've put on 440s and 750s you can get yourself some pretty black foam if that is the color you're particular to on yer bikes. B)
For the test though.

Go get yourself some ordinary cheap all-purpose sponges from the dollar store, or grocery while you're out. The kind yer wife or mom uses in her kitchen. They're normally about 5" x 3" x 2" thick. They can't have anything in them, like cleaning solutions etc, "plain foam" usually 6 or 8 in a pack for a $1.00 and not to dense a foam. Seat foam is too dense, sorry I know it's free.

I use a blade from a razor knife and cut 2 of them in half so you have 4 pieces of 5" x 3" x 1"thick. The 2 halves from one should be enough with a slight stretch to wrap around the pod, and for a test you can just hold them on with elastics or string or whatever. I use the oval Pods, if you have round pods you'll need even less foam but do wrap the entire filter area of the pod.

Next set the air mixture screws to factory specs.. I believe it's 1.5 turns out from seated on the older BS38 carbs, and it's 2.5 turns out on the BS34's like I use. "Which do I have?" you say, well if they got aluminum caps on top and weigh about a 100 lbs you have the older 38s.. rofl

Fire the old girl up and do some fine tuning with the air screws, if you don't have a set of vacuum gauges just place your hand near each exhaust and check for fairly even heat. You don't want one cylinder hotter than the other, and you don't want an overly cold or hot exhaust, it should be just warm at an idle and the pressure should be even.<<< (but -even- is a simple balancing matter, and you can get into that later.)

Anywho:
I do this because it reproduces the required vacuum pressure the CV carbs need to function properly. Pods never have taken the vacuum requirement/restriction of CV carbs into account. They were designed for carbs that manually pull the sliders up out of the way with a linkage. (((After all they are just an air filter, not a replacement for stock CV boxes.))) About the only thought the Pod manufacturers put into them is the diameter size of the rubber boot so it mounts to your carb.

I live on a dirt/gravel road and travel up and down them all the time. I never oil the pods. I intentionally put them on dry with the foam because the oil dries out, gets sucked out, and your vacuum pressure changes. Which of course makes your bike run erratic, and it's usually miles from home. The foam is cheap, so I just replace it a couple times a season and my pods underneath are as clean as the day they went in still.

Since it's a permanent feature of my bikes, I take the two sponge halves and sew the ends together with simple thread or fishing line and then stretch them over the pod. The 1" thickness usually becomes about 1/4". I then wrap a piece of black nylon door screen around each pod and cut it so it overlaps itself by a half inch or so, and cut it just big enough to cover the foam. I sew the overlapping ends together. From then on I just change the foam and the screen slides on and off, well for a couple years at least, heh. I use a thin zip strap at each end of the pod to hold the foam and screen in place.

Mind you this isn't pretty, :lol: so if looks are an issue, and money isn't.
I think K&N used to sell a pre-made grayish colored foam for their pods, at least years ago they did, but I've not seen it for some time.

Yes I know this sound pretty hillbilly, but after buying several bikes with their stock air box missing, it has allowed me to have a reasonably smooth running bike that throttles well through all ranges. It sure beats tying to tune the untuneable, and replacing ripped diaphragms at + $100.00 each because of erratic vacuum surges, or buying jets when you're poor. It would be nice if people would at least hang onto the box and velocity stacks when they decide pods are going to be COOLER.:silly:

You can move the needle clip down a notch if need be, but I find the stock position is usually good with this setup.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
21 Jul 2010 10:06 #384366 by machsp33d
Replied by machsp33d on topic carb help needed! sorry!
I ran out of time before work but the timing advancer springs look beat and stretched out. the one was in and the other just floppin around so I took a trip to advance auto and got a universal spring kit and it has the same looking spring in it so i bent it up the same. it very tight but ill have to see when i get more time to work on it...