throttle cable adjustment

More
16 Jul 2010 22:10 #383266 by asevans
throttle cable adjustment was created by asevans
KZ 900 Im having a problem adjusting my throttle cables. i loosen both cables for maximum free play. when i lengthen the return cable return adjuster until there is no clearance between the throttle cable bracket and the pulley stopper everything just seizes up. it wont snap back to the rest position. when i lengthen the open cable it just gets worse. ive got the adjusters at the carb all the way loose as well.
I bought the cables last year so they are pretty new. ive got superbike bars and the cables are perfect length.
i just dont get it. can anybody help? thanx.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
17 Jul 2010 07:04 #383285 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic throttle cable adjustment
make sure to properly lubricate the cable first. Doesn't matter what you use, but plain motor oil will last the longest.

Put a hole in a plastic baggy, the put that hole over the opening of the cable top end and fasten it in place with a many twisted elastic band. Then fill the baggy with a little oil and wait for it to come dripping out the other end (onto a rag). Then remove baggy, and let the cable drain for a while, and your done.

When your taking up the slack, you should be doing it by feel. Twisting the throttle gently to get an idea of how much play is there. When you've got it down to where you want it, then clamp things firm.

If it still binds, you may have a bad cable or it can be hanging up on things. Check for fraying/snagging all throughout.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
17 Jul 2010 07:51 #383303 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic throttle cable adjustment
I had superbike bars on a KZ1000 for years and in all that time I was never successful making the dual cables work even using the correct length ones. Went back to stock bars and no problem. The only way I could make it work was use only the single cable if you're using these lower bars.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
17 Jul 2010 13:34 #383360 by asevans
Replied by asevans on topic throttle cable adjustment
do you have to have zero clearance between the throttle cable bracket and the pulley stopper on the carbs. just cant seem to get it.

1976 kz900 Mostly stock
1978 Z1-R Project

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
18 Jul 2010 17:02 #383693 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic throttle cable adjustment
They shouldnt be tight. 1/8th inch clearance is fine.
Keep trying.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)