Won't start after fuel bowl cleaning

More
13 Jul 2010 11:57 #382292 by LivingDead
Won't start after fuel bowl cleaning was created by LivingDead
This morning I woke up and started my bike then came in to grab some stuff and when I came out my left carb on my 82 kaw 440 was leaking from the overflow port. So I removed the carbs, drained them out then removed the bowls and cleaned them out. When I put the carbs back on it won't start at all. Is there a priming procedure that I didn't do or something? Cuz I just threw them on put fuel to em and started cranking. I only cleaned out the fuel bowls and didn't take them any further apart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2010 12:04 #382294 by LivingDead
Replied by LivingDead on topic Won't start after fuel bowl cleaning
It's always something. Just last night I finished the charging system and now this. I can't wait till I'm done!

More
13 Jul 2010 18:51 #382403 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Won't start after fuel bowl cleaning
Assuming that the 440 has a vacuum petcock, move the lever to PRI, wait 30 seconds or so for the bowls to fill, try to start. If it does, move the petcock lever back to where it was.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
13 Jul 2010 22:02 #382450 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Won't start after fuel bowl cleaning
One thing I learned the hard way: in a twin, either BOTH plugs fire or neither plug fires. If you see gas pouring out the overflow tube, that side is flooded and probably won't fire so the other side CAN'T fire. You need to clean the needles/seats and set the fuel levels.

1979 KZ-750 Twin