fitting a new exhaust

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2010 12:29 - 12 Jul 2010 12:31 #382017 by AnxiousCowboy
fitting a new exhaust was created by AnxiousCowboy
Just got some new megaphones to replace the old ones on my kz440. I noticed the oem pipes are connected to each other. I think i need to cut the exhaust in front of the connection to fit the new exhaust to the headers since the piping on the headers is smaller than where I cut in the picture. Do I have to keep this connection or should I cut in front of it?

[IMG
Last edit: 12 Jul 2010 12:31 by AnxiousCowboy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2010 12:31 #382018 by AnxiousCowboy
Replied by AnxiousCowboy on topic fitting a new exhaust
I'm hoping I can cut infront because I noticed on the other side the exhaust is cracked at the connection.

More
12 Jul 2010 13:57 #382034 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fitting a new exhaust
With increasingly restrictive exhausts, the cross-over pipe between header pipes before reaching the mufflers is supposed to enhance performance. Am guessing this is due to exhaust being able to escape through both mufflers instead of just one.

With the bike at hand, eliminating the cross-over pipe might not produce a significant difference in performance, especially where freer breathing mufflers are fitted.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jul 2010 15:18 #382047 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic fitting a new exhaust
My '79 400 didn't had aftermarket megaphone mufflers and no cross-over pipe. Worked great!

Go for it!

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2010 20:41 #382132 by AnxiousCowboy
After breaking two bolts and 3 reciprocating saw blades it's on and sounds pretty decent. Not sure if it's air tight though, really had to toque the clamps. How can I tell if it's air tight? Should I just get it welded on?

More
12 Jul 2010 20:45 #382133 by Patton
Likely hear it spitting if not air tight.

Tried metal shim stock?

Could use high temp silicone to seal joint.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jul 2010 20:47 #382135 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic fitting a new exhaust
Hopefully I'm going to be putting my exhaust back together soon and I'm going to use Permatex high-temp silicone gasket material when connecting the muffler to the header pipe. The material the FSM says to use isn't available anymore, but this sounds like the closest thing.

• AnxiousCowboy
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Jul 2010 20:55 #382136 by AnxiousCowboy
I'll give the silicone a go.

So I got the new mufflers on today and new handlebars. Replaced the miniapes with drag bars. It looks good and gives me better control, but I'm not sure how my back likes it... I'd really like something wider with more pull bar...

More
12 Jul 2010 21:12 #382144 by Patton
Fitting the exhaust system to the bike, hanging the muffler in just the perfect position, etc., requires being able to move the muffler's position on the header, both rotationally and further onto or off the header pipe.

Would bear in mind the need for such adjusting and positioning, because using silicone to seal the area between muffler and header will likely make it virtually impossible to later separate the two pieces from each other, or to ever re-adjust their interface with each other. If using the silicone, better get a perfect fit the first time, before it dries.

Often, small leaks will seal themselves with carbon, after running for awhile.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
12 Jul 2010 21:41 #382149 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic fitting a new exhaust
Sounds like your clamps are bottomed out. I made gaskets out of aluminum with a hole saw a file an a grinder.

More
12 Jul 2010 22:26 #382172 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic fitting a new exhaust
Patton wrote:

With increasingly restrictive exhausts, the cross-over pipe between header pipes before reaching the mufflers is supposed to enhance performance. Am guessing this is due to exhaust being able to escape through both mufflers instead of just one.

With the bike at hand, eliminating the cross-over pipe might not produce a significant difference in performance, especially where freer breathing mufflers are fitted.

thats a balance tube,supposed to equalize pressure

Still recovering,some days are better than others.