fuel line help

More
10 Jul 2010 18:41 - 10 Jul 2010 18:42 #381587 by bukshot
fuel line help was created by bukshot
I don't want to sound like a complete idiot but i just started on this bike and i need to find out exactly what fuel lines go where on a 79 kz650 carb setup. and my clymers manual has no info on it and there isn't much about it anywhere so if i could get some help it would be aprieciated
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jul 2010 18:42 by bukshot. Reason: left out fuel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jul 2010 19:01 #381590 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel line help
Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2010 22:53 #381618 by bukshot
Replied by bukshot on topic fuel line help
thanks alot thats what i needed :)

More
11 Jul 2010 06:44 #381640 by cotton.travels
Replied by cotton.travels on topic fuel line help
Patton,
I have been trying to troubleshoot my 81 KZ550 fuel problem. I noticed the picture you posted for the carburetor. It has a vac to petcock hose i don't have. That would definitely hinder the fuel from being drawn from the petcock during ON and RES position, would it not?

-Chris

More
11 Jul 2010 06:47 #381641 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic fuel line help
cotton.travels wrote:

Patton,
I have been trying to troubleshoot my 81 KZ550 fuel problem. I noticed the picture you posted for the carburetor. It has a vac to petcock hose i don't have. That would definitely hinder the fuel from being drawn from the petcock during ON and RES position, would it not?

-Chris

Yes it would Chris. As long as you have a vacuum actuated petcock you'll need that line hooked up. Only the prime setting works with no vacuum.

More
11 Jul 2010 07:49 #381646 by cotton.travels
Thank you!

More
11 Jul 2010 08:01 #381650 by cotton.travels
Do you know where it connects to the carb? I've read it go's to #2 but I couldn't see any connection missing, I DO have a sort of bridge hose between #1 and #2 to between #3 and #4. and it looks like there should be a connection between #2 and #3. There are nipples but no hose.

More
11 Jul 2010 09:47 #381665 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic fuel line help
cotton.travels wrote:

... I've read it go's to #2 but I couldn't see any connection missing, ....

Not sure if that statement means there isn't a port or what. Double check what you've got compared to the photo above. Remove the fuel tank if need be to get a better look at stuff. In regards to stock VM24 carburetors the vacuum port for the petcock is typically located on the #2 carb & is forward of the vent port . The vent ports are in the same general location on the #2 & #4 carbs.

More
11 Jul 2010 11:16 #381677 by Patton
When there's no separate vacuum nipple dedicated for a vacuum hose to a vacuum operated petcock, any otherwise unused vacuum nipple may be connected to the hose supplying vacuum to the petcock.

Usually this would be one of the ordinarily capped (plugged) vacuum nipples on a carb holder.

Each of the four carb holders usually has a vacuum nipple that's capped (plugged) during normal operation. These nipples on the carb holders are used during carb sync procedure, and the nipples otherwise remain capped (plugged) unless used for something else such as vacuum supply to petcock, part of the clean air emission system, etc.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
11 Jul 2010 11:23 #381678 by Patton
cotton.travels wrote:

Do you know where it connects to the carb? I've read it go's to #2 but I couldn't see any connection missing, I DO have a sort of bridge hose between #1 and #2 to between #3 and #4. and it looks like there should be a connection between #2 and #3. There are nipples but no hose.

The two float bowl vent nipples (to open air) usually each have a separate hose routed to exit underneath the bike seat or underneath the bike (bundles along with the four overflow hoses).

I suppose the vent hoses could enter a tee fitting with a single hose to open air.

It would be a mistake to connect the two vent nipples to each other.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD