650 SR Starting Problem:

More
05 Jul 2010 11:53 - 05 Jul 2010 11:56 #380385 by twjoyce
650 SR Starting Problem: was created by twjoyce
I found another KZ 650 SR in really nice shape with 12,000 miles. It runs very good but it will NOT start with the electric starter when cold (cranks fine but won't start).

If I kick it a few times and play with where the choke is, it starts after a bit and after it warms up it starts fine with the starter. Also, if it has been sitting out in the hot sun, it starts fine either way. I had one of these new and this is the 4th used one I have had so I know a little bit about them but I have never had one that did this. The guy I bought it from said the carbs had all been cleaned and adjusted last year. I don't know the guy but he seemed to know his stuff and be a good guy.

Anyway, any ideas on what I need to do to get a good cold start with the starter (I'm gettin a little old to kick it all the time) would really be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
Last edit: 05 Jul 2010 11:56 by twjoyce.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2010 06:09 #380553 by twjoyce
Replied by twjoyce on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
BTTT:

More
06 Jul 2010 07:30 #380556 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
thats kind of odd. From my own experience, i would say that the problem is your carburetor. It could be that you are running too rich, the starter turns the engine over too fast and wets the spark plugs. How are your plugs? what color? Black? Just an idea.

1979 KZ650B3

More
07 Jul 2010 05:26 #380743 by twjoyce
bttt

More
07 Jul 2010 07:34 #380758 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
what the hell does that mean?

1979 KZ650B3

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
07 Jul 2010 07:55 #380761 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
Have you done a cylinder compression check yet?

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
07 Jul 2010 10:58 #380806 by twjoyce
The bike runs perfect with tons of power. Ifit had bad compression, spiining it over faster with the starter would HELP

More
07 Jul 2010 11:00 #380807 by twjoyce
It means "Back To The Top" or in other words put it back on the front pages for a better chance of being seen.

More
07 Jul 2010 16:02 #380852 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
twjoyce wrote:

The bike runs perfect with tons of power. Ifit had bad compression, spiining it over faster with the starter would HELP

Well that's true, but you also need compression to get vacuum to get fuel into the engine to start. Much more difficult to start a cold engine with low compression, than with good compression. Most my 650s are well worn with low compression and do not start well cold or after sitting for long periods.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Jul 2010 16:25 #380862 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
Come on Tom, you can't be that old :laugh: I've always used the kicker to start mine when cold (since new). I think sometimes the battery just doesn't have enough ooomph to crank a cold engine and still supply good spark. One or two kicks when cold and it should start right up. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
07 Jul 2010 20:10 #380934 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 650 SR Starting Problem:
twjoyce wrote:

...will NOT start with the electric starter when cold (cranks fine but won't start).
If I kick it a few times and play with where the choke is, it starts after a bit and after it warms up it starts fine with the starter. Also, if it has been sitting out in the hot sun, it starts fine either way. I had one of these new and this is the 4th used one I have had so I know a little bit about them but I have never had one that did this...Anyway, any ideas on what I need to do to get a good cold start with the starter ....

Symptoms can result from weak battery, where starter is consuming power needed by ignition, whereby spark is weakened when cranking engine over with electric starter.

If not already done, would verify clean snug connections at battery terminals and at negative cable ground connection at rear of engine.

Would also compare voltage readings across battery terminals with readings at coil primaries, engine off, at idle, and at 4000 rpm, all to determine extent of voltage drop between battery and coil primaries. If voltage is dropping between battery and coil, the ignition is already weaker than optimal, and using the electric starter further weakens the ignition (spark).

Look for 12~13 vdc at battery with engine off and at idle, and 14+ vdc at 4000 rpm.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD