Carb and Air cleaner.

More
26 Jun 2010 15:51 #378377 by BoredKZ750
Carb and Air cleaner. was created by BoredKZ750
Hi. I have a kz750 that i got about 2 weeks ago. This is my first bike and im trying to get her running. So far ive changed the oil, cleaned the gas, cleaned the clutch resevior and added brake fluid and clutch fluid. The problem im having is there are two hoses missing from the bottom of two of my carbs. the two hoses that go into the airbox. the other two carbs have the hoses and go into the airbox attached to a grommet. I cant find this grommet anywhere on any site. the part is discontinued. 92071-1034 and 92005-1034. My bike wont start and im thinking this is the reason why it wont start because it just dumps fuel out of the bottom of the two carbs. Is there anyway to reroute these hoses? custom make a grommet? any tips are much appreciated. I was thinking about just taking the air cleaner off and putting air pods on but i have no clue where the hoses on the bottom of the carbs would then go. please help thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2010 16:10 #378386 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Carb and Air cleaner.
Your bike should run fine without those two hoses. As I recall, they are overflow tubes that do nothing as long as everything else is working. If there is fuel running from the overflow tubes, then you have failure of the needle valves in those carbs as well as a failure of the petcock. The most likely cause is smegma. That's a scientific term ;) for what modern gasoline turns into after a few weeks. It could also be a small particle of dirt or rust. A VERY thorough cleaning of the carbs and fuel tank, and a check of float heights, and a petcock rebuild should take care of the problem. don't neglect to install an inline fuel filter to prevent more stuff (another scientific term) from getting into the carbs.

That grommet may prove difficult to find. I'm sure one of the 750 dudes around here will know for sure.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
26 Jun 2010 16:12 #378389 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Carb and Air cleaner.
P.S. If you have not done so yet, get a factory shop manual. It will save you it's weight in money.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
27 Jun 2010 00:50 #378488 by BoredKZ750
Replied by BoredKZ750 on topic Carb and Air cleaner.
Thanks for the info man. I definately need a manual for the bike. Ill clean the carbs. Could i cap off the overflow nozzles under the carb after i clean it?

More
27 Jun 2010 06:02 - 27 Jun 2010 06:03 #378504 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Carb and Air cleaner.
Often times it helps to mention more model info, such as the year. There are a bunch of different 750Ltds.

The missing grommet might act as a vacuum leak & unfiltered air may enter the carbs.

I don't know about your model, but checking the diagrams at Kawasaki.com shows that the 83 750-Ltd-4 has an airbox grommet for the carb overflow tubing. (# 92071-1027). I believe there are two of those grommets on that bike. Also, the 4 carb hoses are connect to 2 Y-fittings & I think those are then fitted into the grommets... not sure. The 92071-1027 are used on a bunch of models including some modern bikes & are listed as Active, so they ought to be available. RonAyers.com shows a price of around two bucks each. I don't know if they fit your bike.

PS: The bike has a hydraulic clutch?
Last edit: 27 Jun 2010 06:03 by JMKZHI.

More
27 Jun 2010 08:07 #378523 by kz750saskatoon
Replied by kz750saskatoon on topic Carb and Air cleaner.
I don't think you want to do that because then the fuel will overflow up into the carb body and potentially into airbox or engine.

Sounds like you need a carb cleaning and a float level adjustment.

1981 KZ750-H2
Saskatoon, SK

More
27 Jun 2010 09:25 #378538 by BoredKZ750
www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-1980-kz750-e1_mod.../partslist/9597.html

92071-1034 is the grommet for my bike. 92005-1034 is the y tube part number for my bike. the y tube i can get. the grommet is discontinued. The bike is a KZ750 i think its an 82 or 83. It just says KZ on it so i dont think its an ltd i think its the E3 or E2 model. the motor is bored to 1000cc. Hyrdo clutch and brake i believe. The clutch resevoir was full of solid gunk. like the fluid that was in there turned to like this stringy nasty stuff that i cleaned out. it had no brake fluid. changed the oil. She really wants to turn over when i try and start her i can tell. shes just being stubborn. I will look up how to clean the carbs today and do that to see if i can atleast get her started. Thanks for the help you guys

More
27 Jun 2010 09:48 - 27 Jun 2010 10:37 #378541 by BoredKZ750
Okay well i got it started. Heres what happend... I set the fuel from off to the PRI thing instead of fully on. I fired it up. It immediately revved super high i could here it but the rpm gauge didnt pick up it revving. the throttle wasnt working at all. I let it run for like 5 seconds trying to break the throttle free but it was revving to high from what i heard so i hit the kill switch. i looked down the exhaust was smoking. and fuel was dumping out of the airbox where the grommet and the two hoses are supposed to be. How do i fix the throttle being stuck? and what other precautions should i take since this bike has been sitting for over two years? I was trying to let it run cause i put new gas in it with seafoam to let it run through the carbs. could it be that it was revving so high because the fuel was dumping out? or was it the throttle? im thinking throttle because it was revving waaaay high like i could here it.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2010 10:37 by BoredKZ750.

More
27 Jun 2010 10:52 #378550 by BoredKZ750
Okay well i unhooked the throttle cable and started it up again and tried to seal the hole where the gas was leaking. It idles really weird like it starts off sounding good then it idles real low and makes like a clunking sound as if it doesnt have enough oil in it. But i filled up the oil to almost the top of the oil fill circle on the bottom right of the bike. It still dumps massive amounts of fuel. Im not gonna start it again until i have a way to seal that hole or get the grommet for it somehow.

More
27 Jun 2010 11:58 #378571 by JMKZHI
My mistake - I inadvertently typed Ltd out of habit. i meant to write that there are a lot of KZ750-4s... I assumed you had a 4-cyl. The E is the 750-Standard-4, it's different than the Ltd... although the two share some parts.

I would try to get a similar grommet that's available to see if it'll work (# 92071-1027).
Or plug the hole & simply run the overflow tubing behind the engine & forward of the swingarm away from the chain & mufflers the way it's done on many KZs.

Kawasaki.com has a cross-reference that might help.

The fuel dumping problem might be faulty float needle valves - maybe there's debris getting between the needle & seat. I would remove the carb bowls & investigate. It wouldn't hurt to install an in-line fuel filter from a cycle shop (some automotive types don't flow enough fuel).

More
27 Jun 2010 12:13 #378586 by BoredKZ750
I hope i didnt mess anything up in the engine. because it revved really high in then started smoking a little bit. I hope i didnt blow any valves or anything :( Its 4 cylinder duel overhead cam.

More
27 Jun 2010 12:55 #378594 by JMKZHI
You probably didn't hurt anything. Heck, there was a video on youtube that showed a KZ750 being horribly abused... they put it on the centerstand, then ran the engine w a throttle lock on the grip. I don't know what rpms they had it running, but it was revving high... they ran it quite a while like that, on the centerstand w no fan or anything... they were simply trying to kill that poor bike. I didn't watch the whole thing, so I don't know how it ended. In your case, a momentary over-rev isn't going to hurt anything. I've done it once or twice myself. no big deal.