Muffler removal = carb adjustment?

More
24 Jun 2010 18:42 #378046 by ckotul
Muffler removal = carb adjustment? was created by ckotul
I had the carbs rejetted and sync'd last season cause the previous owner didn't do it when he put on the pods, 4-1, and the Kerker Megaphone.

Here's my question... if I decide to either take the baffle out of the Kerker, or just remove the muffler all together, will I need to rejet or adjust the carbs?

1977 KZ650C1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Jun 2010 18:45 #378047 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Muffler removal = carb adjustment?
ckotul wrote:

I had the carbs rejetted and sync'd last season cause the previous owner didn't do it when he put on the pods, 4-1, and the Kerker Megaphone.

Here's my question... if I decide to either take the baffle out of the Kerker, or just remove the muffler all together, will I need to rejet or adjust the carbs?

Just removing the baffle, probably not.

Removing the Megaphone could affect the jetting.

It really comes down to the state of build of the motor and how close your jetting is to perfect right now.

Larry C

More
24 Jun 2010 18:49 #378048 by ckotul
Replied by ckotul on topic Muffler removal = carb adjustment?
larrycavan wrote:

ckotul wrote:

It really comes down to the state of build of the motor and how close your jetting is to perfect right now.

Larry C

Thanks for the info! How will I know if something is wrong? Will the bike die or not run normally, or will it be something more subtle?

1977 KZ650C1

More
26 Jun 2010 07:48 #378279 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Muffler removal = carb adjustment?
Could be either depending on how far off the air-fuel ratio is. Might just barely run, or may run ok until it burns a hole in a piston. Take the time to do it right. There are several threads int the carb section of this site that explain methods to get it right. A shop with a dynamometer and the equipment to monitor the a-f ratio is also an option.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
26 Jun 2010 09:38 #378300 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Muffler removal = carb adjustment?
Or u can use the highly scientific and very cheap "greasy finger test" to determine rich versus lean.Take the baffle out,po the neighbors and local gendarmes with ur loud exhaust for a week or so.Then one morning before u ride,run ur index finger around the inside of ur megaphone.If it comes out black and greasy=too rich.If it comes out dry and tan=too lean.If it comes out a little sooty and dry=just right.Lol.bj

More
26 Jun 2010 10:37 - 26 Jun 2010 10:39 #378315 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Muffler removal = carb adjustment?
ckotul wrote:

larrycavan wrote:

ckotul wrote:

Larry C

Thanks for the info! How will I know if something is wrong? Will the bike die or not run normally, or will it be something more subtle?

It will hesitate as you open the throttle to accelerate and not have power. Your spark plugs will run white and your pipes will burn blue at the first bend.

I remember I screwed around with the baffles on my stock mufflers and it definitely threw the carburetion off enough to run crappy.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 26 Jun 2010 10:39 by bountyhunter.