High idle, need advice!

More
20 Jun 2010 01:46 #376959 by donga1
High idle, need advice! was created by donga1
So I've been trying to get my bike running for the past few months (81 kz440b). So far I've cleaned the carbs and replaced the idle needles in both. The problem was that one of my carbs lacked a needle assembly all together, so i just copied the number of turns from the other. the diaphragms looked fine in both (as in i didnt notice any tears or holes in either). Also I have the stock air box and everything else is stock that I'm aware of.

I've gotten my bike to run since then, however it idles pretty high about 3500-4000 rpms, so I guess I'm wondering if this is just a problem that can be solved by adjusting the idle needles or something more complicated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Jun 2010 06:58 #376980 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic High idle, need advice!
Have you adjusted the Idle speed thumb wheel/ screw? Checked the throttle cable for free play/ slack? What about vacuum leaks at the intake manifolds? How about the Ignition advancer, returning freely? When cleaning the carb's did you remove all of the jets and soak them, making sure all passage ways are clean? The Idle and transition circuits can be hard to get really clean.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.