Petcock Problemo!!

More
27 Jun 2010 05:35 #378500 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Petcock Problemo!!
Maybe I missed it but what about the tank cap itself venting...checked/confirmed operating correctly?

Just a thought...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2010 08:19 #378524 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Petcock Problemo!!
Old Man Rock wrote:

Maybe I missed it but what about the tank cap itself venting...checked/confirmed operating correctly?

Just a thought...

OMR

His bike works fine if the tank is in the prime position. B)

More
27 Jun 2010 14:28 #378603 by rsrcafe
Replied by rsrcafe on topic Petcock Problemo!!
The Syringe should go back even in prime?

More
27 Jun 2010 15:06 #378611 by loudhvx
rsrcafe wrote:

The Syringe should go back even in prime?

Yes, as long as you are attaching the syringe to the vacuum port on the petcock. There should never be any airflow through the vacuum port on the petcock. If it did, then the bike would have a vacuum leak on the #4 cylinder (or which ever cylinder the vacuum petcock is connected to). Regardless of petcock position, there should be no air through the vacuum port. If there is, then something is not sealed properly.

More
30 Jun 2010 17:25 #379309 by rsrcafe
Replied by rsrcafe on topic Petcock Problemo!!
Alright everyone, I solved the problem. Turns out that the petcock I have uses a long since obsolete(since it is notpictred in parts breakdow) diaphragm seal (top hat I mentioned in first post). I took it to my buddies dad (the tech who jetted the bike I might add)and it turns out that the seal was sticking in place even when the diaphragm opened due to ethanol in pump gas. The answer SUPER GLUE!!
The tech and I figured a dab of super glue on the male end of the daiphragm would hold the seal to it and would pull it open even if it got a little sticky from the gas/ethanol.
Go Figure...

Thanks for all your valuble input.

More
30 Jun 2010 18:22 #379319 by cobura
Replied by cobura on topic Petcock Problemo!!
what would happen if you just ditched the whole vacuum setup and slapped on a new pingel? would that damage your carburetor if it was not vacuum type?

1979 KZ650B3

More
02 Jul 2010 10:55 #379670 by wannaby
Replied by wannaby on topic Petcock Problemo!!
O.K ill try again ...where does this vacume line from the petcock connect to the carb and if it isnt connected will the bike still at least start and idle just whant to get mine running but for now dont have a gas tank can I hook up a temp tank without a vacume line just gravity...

More
02 Jul 2010 11:01 #379673 by cobura
I've never owned a bike with a vacuum petcock, but im pretty sure it doesn't connect to the carburetor. If I were you, i would do a little bit of research on how a vacuum type petcock works. But i cant imagine any harm being caused as long as gas is flowing to the carburetor. Install an inline filter so you can see if there is gas flow.

1979 KZ650B3

More
02 Jul 2010 11:08 #379675 by loudhvx
On many KZ's, it does in fact connect to the carburetor. usually carb #4. The carb has a port that goes directly to the intake manifold.

In other bikes I've seen the port on one fo the actual intake manifolds.

So it can be in one of several places, but you'll need someone who knows specifically on your bike.

More
02 Jul 2010 11:11 #379676 by cobura
wow, i learned something today. thanks! :cheer: Sounds complicated though. I would much prefer a gravity fed system.

1979 KZ650B3

More
02 Jul 2010 15:37 #379741 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Petcock Problemo!!
You will need to be certain that all four vacuum ports are blocked off when you try to start the engine with your temporary fuel supply. There are a couple of threads here about making an inexpensive tank to use for tuning purposes. If any vacuum ports are open, that cylinder will run extremely lean, causing the engine to be hard to start and to have an erratic idle and to run like goose poop.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
02 Jul 2010 17:28 #379762 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Petcock Problemo!!
The vacuum line goes from the petcock to a vacuum port on top of any one of your carbs.When the engine runs the vacuum from the carb opens the diaphragm in the petcock and fuel flows.When the engine is off,no vacuum,the diaphragm closes and no fuel should flow if everything is working like it should.As long as u have the stock petcock,u need a vacuum supply for it to work correctly. The Pingel petcocks lots of folks here use has no vacuum operated diaphragm and flows by gravity.Much simpler-but about 100 pesadas a pop.--worth it.bj