fuel level

More
15 Jun 2010 18:55 #375966 by Tinman905
fuel level was created by Tinman905
Hi all I have a Z1R with 29mm smooth bores that I have ultrasonically clean set the float heights using the float tool .My problem is the fuel just doesn't seem to be flowing into the bowls fast enough. I had to wait longer than usual for the fuel level to rise in the bowls.
It bogs down and almost stall if I try to accelerate . I have 17.5 pilots and 125 mains with a 4 into 1 Kerker.

Is there a spec on how far the floats drop in the bowls ? I am thinking the floats are just not dropping down enough to allow the fuel to fill the bowls fast enough.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2010 19:07 - 15 Jun 2010 19:09 #375970 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic fuel level
So, you set the float via the inverted dry method w the carbs upside down?
There's a Service Fuel Level check that can be done to see what the fuel level is in each carb. Attach clear tubing or a measuring device to the carb bowl, then allow fuel to flow in & check the level. I posted some stuff in a recent float level topic that might be applicable. I'd guess my VM24 carbs are similar in functionality to yours.

Note: On some bikes it's handy to use a special tool that's installed in place of the bowl's drain screw - I believe someone on ebbaayy is selling them kinda cheap. On other bikes you simply attach clear tubing to the overflow nipple, then open the drain screw to allow fuel to flow (that's how my 81 650-CSR is).
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 19:09 by JMKZHI.

More
15 Jun 2010 19:15 #375972 by Tinman905
Replied by Tinman905 on topic fuel level
No I used a clear with a float tool screwed into the drain hole with the carbs upright .

More
15 Jun 2010 20:03 - 15 Jun 2010 20:07 #375984 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic fuel level
Tinman905 wrote:

...Z1R with 29mm smooth bores...ultrasonically clean...fuel just doesn't seem to be flowing into the bowls fast enough. I had to wait longer than usual for the fuel level to rise in the bowls. It bogs down and almost stall if I try to accelerate...am thinking the floats are just not dropping down enough to allow the fuel to fill the bowls fast enough....

Possible fuel starvation due to:
-- Clogged petcock filter screen;
-- Clogged petcock;
-- Clogged in-line fuel filter;
-- Clogged vent in fuel tank cap.

Would test run with fuel tank cap ajar (not snapped down) to see whether this makes any difference.

Or just remove fuel line from petcock and observe fuel flow.
Then remove fuel line from in-line filter exit end, and observe fuel flow through the in-line filter.
The fuel flow should be ample, whether cap is snapped down or open.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 20:07 by Patton.