Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please

More
14 Jun 2010 10:41 #375650 by Hawk111
I just got my carbs cleaned by a professional mechanic. I brought them home and put them back in. The Bike fired right up and was running seemingly well. Only there is a wrapping sound inside, what I think is the gear box.

My main current problem is that it won't start up at all now. It worked last night and started up fine after I put the carbs back in. I now put it on choke, half choke, no choke and try all my fuel settings and it won't idle anymore. What could have happened. I've been trying to start this bike and it won't get going again. Maybe I flooded the carbs? Or fouled the plugs?

Help Please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
14 Jun 2010 10:50 #375653 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
pull either the no.1 or no.4 plug out and check the electrodes.If they are black or gummy or wet looking,u have fouled the plugs.If they are a nice grayish-tan color,u havent.When u try to start the bike do u open the throttle at all? If so,dont.These old bikes start best just by turning gas on,igntion on,choke out then hit the start button.If u have carb issues,we got plenty of carb gurus here that can help u there.bj

More
14 Jun 2010 11:43 - 14 Jun 2010 11:44 #375665 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
Hawk111 wrote:

I just got my carbs cleaned by a professional mechanic. I brought them home and put them back in. The Bike fired right up and was running seemingly well. Only there is a wrapping sound inside, what I think is the gear box.

My main current problem is that it won't start up at all now. It worked last night and started up fine after I put the carbs back in. I now put it on choke, half choke, no choke and try all my fuel settings and it won't idle anymore. What could have happened.

Garbage may have come down from the tank and gunked up a jet. Been there, done that. Did you clean the fuel tank and replace the inline filters?

Also, check spark and compression at all cylinders.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 14 Jun 2010 11:44 by bountyhunter.

More
14 Jun 2010 12:04 #375671 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
Are you sure that you did not accidentally turn the kill switch? We have no idea of what bike you have so it is hard to assist with certain questions. Things are not the same on all bikes. I also agree about garbage coming from your tank to your newly cleaned carbs. If you are not using a fuel filter, do so. I run two. first a screen and then a filter. Put a cup or something under one of the outside float boles and remove the drain screw. You will see if there is clean gas or if there are chunks of junk. If there are than the carbs will have to be cleaned again.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
14 Jun 2010 12:40 - 14 Jun 2010 12:43 #375683 by Hawk111
Replied by Hawk111 on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
Yeah, this is definitely finicky work. I truly appreciate the feedback. Thanks guys. I'm gonna check the plugs first.
I have a slight suspicion that maybe some plastic bits/shards got in the carburetor. When I put the carbs back on I kind of chewed up the air filter ducks prying them back on. I have a KZ550 LTD. I'm going to try the float bowls second.

I also hear a weird wrapping / clucking sort of sound from the gear box.

Forgot to also mention - This bike has a cool looking filter
in the gas tank, kind of like a "pez" (the candy) dispenser shape so I don't think gas gunk got in there yet.

Please check back in on me like a kid because I am a newbie to fixing bikes.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2010 12:43 by Hawk111.

More
14 Jun 2010 12:47 #375688 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
The rubber chunks from installing the carbs would get sucked into the engine (wouldn't do any damage) but would not get sucked into the fuel system. So this would not be your problem. When you go threw your check list, start with the simplest and end with the hardest. Did you check if you have spark?

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
14 Jun 2010 17:32 #375762 by Hawk111
My problem was a kinked hose. Thanks for the reminder of "going down the checklist."

However, I still have a problem. One of my carburetors, I have four on my 81' KZ550, leaks when I have the gas on. I have the float bowl screw tight, yet it still leaks.

It leaks when I have my gas switch on prime. Check it out.
I have 3 settings on my gas switch - RESERVE, ON, then PRIME. Left is reserve, down is "On", and to the right is
PRIME. I took my hoses off and on prime the fuel runs right out and down the center pipe = GOOD. On the down position, there is a little trickle - not much. And on Reserve - nothing. Hmmm. Any help?

Especially with the one carb - I need advice.

Please help.

More
14 Jun 2010 20:56 #375798 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
Hi Hawk,

Was the kinked hose the vacuum for the petcock? Ha! that's how I got my 750 so cheap...the PO could not get it started.

Little concerned about that trickle....you shouldn't see anything coming out of the petcock in ON or RESERVE if there's no vacuum. I'd probably take the petcock apart (carefully) and clean it up.

Sounds like your leaky carb's float valve isn't seating...might be some dirt sticking in there. Try tapping the bowl with a small wrench or screwdriver handle to dislodge the dirt while you have the prime on.

Good Luck!

More
15 Jun 2010 11:19 - 15 Jun 2010 11:24 #375887 by Hawk111
Link 14, awesome story - now that I've been through this, the cheap bike story makes me laugh my ass off, hilarious.
Something so simple can land you a killer deal. Good to hear. How much just for kicks, make and model?

I need a couple more seconds of your time if you could only toss me some more thoughtful feedback. I got my bike to start now. However still issues here...

The "leaky float bowl" as we talked about before still fills up - yeah probably have a float valve seating problem. Seemed fine however when I took it apart. I then replaced the old bowl with an extra one I had and it didn't leak, but I still think it probably fills up. Doesn't leak from the hose now - in the emptying screw area. Now it leaks very slowly from the gasket where the bowl attaches. Minor prob.
But I still wonder what's up inside.

Alright, so there's that bit - here's the second.

When I pull on the throttle it doesn't rev properly. So there are still issues. I pull back and it only goes up like not even halfway on the revs.

Third issue:

I always here snapping noises (overheating) when I shut off. My manual says poor carburation could be the issue.

Shoot me what you can.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2010 11:24 by Hawk111.

More
16 Jun 2010 12:56 #376111 by Link14
Replied by Link14 on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
Hawk111 wrote:

Link 14, awesome story - now that I've been through this, the cheap bike story makes me laugh my ass off, hilarious.
Something so simple can land you a killer deal. Good to hear. How much just for kicks, make and model?.

Got the '82 KZ750-4 for $700....not the super barn find deal that some have posted....but less than I was expecting to pay.

The "leaky float bowl" as we talked about before still fills up - yeah probably have a float valve seating problem. Seemed fine however when I took it apart. I then replaced the old bowl with an extra one I had and it didn't leak, but I still think it probably fills up. Doesn't leak from the hose now - in the emptying screw area. Now it leaks very slowly from the gasket where the bowl attaches. Minor prob.
But I still wonder what's up inside.

The fuel service level should be set 2-4 mm below the float bowl gasket (not sure exactly for your model). If you are seeping gas...you have too much gas in your bowl. Could be from either the leaky float valve, or your floats aren't set properly to shut the fuel off at the proper level.

When I pull on the throttle it doesn't rev properly. So there are still issues. I pull back and it only goes up like not even halfway on the revs.

I think if your fuel level isn't set properly (too high) that's going to severely affect your fuel draw. I don't know exactly what carbs you have, but if they are constant velocity carbs (doesn't look like that in your avatar), I'd also be looking at the diaphrams for air leaks.

I always here snapping noises (overheating) when I shut off. My manual says poor carburation could be the issue.

Not sure on this one...maybe someone else will chime in.

Good Luck!

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
16 Jun 2010 14:01 #376125 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Starting Troubles Never end - Help Please
The snapping when you shut it off is the motor cooling down. Makes alot of clings and clacks for a while but this is normal

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL