Overly rich cylinder

More
06 Jun 2010 14:28 - 06 Jun 2010 14:40 #373936 by moneypit
Overly rich cylinder was created by moneypit
I ve had some trouble getting my 900 to run on all cylinders, so new dyna coils and still no fire on #3.
Its running so rich that it wont fire, I took off the vacuum plug from the carb holder and it fires just fine ie hot pipe, #1 is cooler than 2+4 but does fire. Took it for a short ride around the hood (last registered in 96) got home and #3 was cool enough that water would not steam #1 would alittle All jets are the same size everthing seems clean. Im at a loss :S Could the choke plunger somehow be bad? It accualy runs preaty damn good considering. And Im still running points, timing is right on
By the way the carbs are 29 smoothbores, the bitch is it ran the same with my 26s last month when I was triing to figure this out :(
Clear tube was also used for float levels

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jun 2010 14:40 by moneypit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jun 2010 15:02 #373944 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Overly rich cylinder
With 4 brand new NGKB8ES spark plugs, would visually check spark quality on each plug while spinning engine over and holding bases of plugs against the engine head. Look for desired fat blue spark on every plug, and especially on #1 and #3.

If all new plugs are sparking, would test run with 4 brand new NGKB8ES spark plugs to determine whether all 4 cylinders combust with new plugs, and if all combust with new plugs, how long before #1 and #3 foul out.

Would also assure valve clearances are within specs.
And after valve clearances checked (and adjusted if necessary), then perform compression test on each cylinder.

When cleaning smoothbore pilot circuits, would assure air jet is clear (unscrew and remove it from its position at entrance to pilot circuit air passage). See image below.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.