Minor backfire after jet change?

More
04 Jun 2010 16:56 - 04 Jun 2010 16:59 #373479 by polkat
Replied by polkat on topic Minor backfire after jet change?
Not sure what the reed valves are. There are two small covers on each side of the top of the head that had ports for smog vacuum hoses. I did remove these two smog vacuum lines and capped the ports off. Are the reed valves under these covers? And if it's a problem, what can I do about it?
Last edit: 04 Jun 2010 16:59 by polkat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Jun 2010 17:29 #373484 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Minor backfire after jet change?
Yes under those covers are the reed valve petals, these were part of the Air Injection to the exhaust for emissions. Again if hooked up and working correctly it will not cause any loss of performance. If they are bent and leaking, then air can go into the exhaust when un-intended. So if you have the bigger say 1/2" hose fitting on the top cap plugged off, then this is probably not an issue. Not sure if 1 cylinder could still get air from its joining cylinder if plugged but reed valve petal leaking. It might be worth a look.
I think you can get needle shims from most bike shops, hardware washers are probably to thick and would vairy in thickness as they are not shims but washers. The other would be either buy a richer needle or needle jet. I saw where you are drilling after soldering, this can get you in the ballpark, then you can get some jets in the correct and even sizes.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
04 Jun 2010 18:05 - 04 Jun 2010 18:07 #373495 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Minor backfire after jet change?
Sounds like progress.
I have the same carbs and needles and I dont think you can put a washer under them.. not totally sure on this.

If it accelerates fine and idles fine then it sounds like your drilling the jets is probably ok. I used 62/140 and 2.5 turns out without problems before moving to 70/140. If you need to buy Keihin jets then Z1Enterprises have them for about $2 each.

In adition to the suggestions above on exhaust leaks and reed valves - which we never had up here in Canada - perhaps take a look at how the pods are attached to the carbs and the carbs to the motor. Earlier this season I had some popping in the exhaust. May or may not have been caused by poor fitting pods but when I got new hose clips and paid carefull attention to how I attached the pods my popping dissappeared.

Good luck. You sound so close to having a perfectly running machine

PS Also thinking drilled out muffler

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 04 Jun 2010 18:07 by JR.