Where to start with jetting? Anyone in NW Oregon?

More
02 Jun 2010 22:56 #373014 by WillaminaOR
Anybody got a good idea where to start with jets for my bike? I've got an '80 KZ650E. Motor is stock that I know of but the friend I bought it from had tossed the air box and put on inexpensive pods. Also the exhaust was mismatched, one 79 kz650 pipe on the left and a sportster muff on the right, welded to the stock headers. Included with the bike when I bought it was a pair of bugpac mufflers, glass pack megaphone looking things. I cut the flange off the bugpacs and welded them up to the stock header behind the cross over pipe. So free flowing exhaust, assuming the stock header flows well. I'm not sure what the stock pilot jets are, or whats installed but the mains are 97.5 which I believe is stock. From what I have found in the forum and an 81 manual, the needles probably only have one setting but may be shimmed. I've got the air screws out 3/4 to 1 turn and it idles and runs pretty well at a very small throttle opening, falls flat at any more. So I'm open to suggestions for jetting with my unusual combo? Also, anybody in the NW Oregon area have a selection of jets I might borrow?

Thanks,
Bryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• leakyseal
  • User
  • KZ pilot for life.
More
03 Jun 2010 03:10 #373027 by leakyseal
Jetting is a pain in the butt.I run pods,with 4>1 pipe on my 78' KZ650.Had to take the carbs off so many times i can do it blindfolded. sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs1..._16113_3002595_n.jpg [/img]
She falls on her face over qtr throttle? You mean sputters,or just loses power?
Lean fuel mixture will cause power to drop alot.check your spark plugs..they white? tan,or black.I need more info,but anyway it sounds like you have fuel starvation.First off,make sure those carbs/jets are clean,and she's getting fuel.Maybe you've got her flowing air so well,she's beging for fatter jets.If she's sputtering,your jettings rich most likely.Stock,or slightly larger mains should work well.You'll need bigger pilots to offset the pods( u say it's good off idle,so leave'em)...play with the needle shimming last.One fouled plug can also pretend to be carberation.
Oh,pilot jets are 0-qtr throttle biased,needle is half throttle biased,mains are full...but they all effect eachother.
Attachments:

More
04 Jun 2010 13:12 #373423 by WillaminaOR
Replied by WillaminaOR on topic Where to start with jetting? Anyone in NW Orego
I have not checked the plugs, shame on me but it acts lean and I know it should be lean so I haven't checked them yet. When i say it falls flat I mean that if I crank the throttle open more than about 1/4 way it just stops going any faster and may even loose speed. I can pump the throttle and the accell pump will get things going a little faster but i can't keep doing that forever.

It runs fair at idle and at a tiny bit of throttle and will cruise around up to about 40mph at that very small amount of throttle. It does pop when decelerating. I have the air screws turned out only about 3/4-1 turn to get it to run like it is. They should be out more shouldn't they? So bigger pilots? I'm looking for an educated guess as to what to get for pilots and mains, I can't afford to get to many sets.

Thanks,
Bryan

PS, or someone in the area or by mail that might loan me some jets to try!!!