float level?

More
02 Jun 2010 15:13 #372886 by clutch85
float level? was created by clutch85
hello, i have a kz440 and i have been trying to tune carbs with pods, i have increased both main jet sizes and the plugs are reading good maybe a little on the rich side, the problem is at the highest rpms it cuts out really bad, thats not what is bothering though as it still rides okay but when i get in the last gear it starts to run on one cylinder and loses all power

my question is could this be the float height causing this ? thanks!!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
02 Jun 2010 15:20 - 02 Jun 2010 15:21 #372888 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic float level?
What type of carbs are on your 440? Year?

What circuit/throttle position are you in when the bike starts to stutter?

Some times it can be as simple as making sure to have your plugs correctly gapped, .026 - .028 gap is spec I belive.
you could be blowing them out at high rpm.

When are you reading the plugs? Are you doing a proper plug chop? By killing the engine with the throttle still open at the position you want to check?

Obviously, if it is carb related, and you've changed to pods, then it could be very likely too lean at its highest draw for the circuit your using.

make sure you've oiled those pods with a good apporved filter oil! Unless they're the cheap paper crap ones.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 02 Jun 2010 15:21 by TeK9iNe.

More
02 Jun 2010 15:49 - 02 Jun 2010 15:52 #372894 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic float level?
clutch85 wrote:

hello, i have a kz440 and i have been trying to tune carbs with pods, i have increased both main jet sizes and the plugs are reading good maybe a little on the rich side, the problem is at the highest rpms it cuts out really bad, thats not what is bothering though as it still rides okay but when i get in the last gear it starts to run on one cylinder and loses all power

my question is could this be the float height causing this ? thanks!!!!!!

Won't hurt to check the fuel level by using the clear tube method. But if too high, would likely also cause excessive richness in pilot circuit and mid-range as well as full open throttle on mainjet.

Does adding a little choke improve or further impair performance? Am guessing impair, because thinking too rich for whatever reason, such as too large main jets, clogged or over-oiled air filter, etc.

Meanwhile, if not already done, would assure valve clearances are set to specs, as too tight valves could cause the reported performance problem. As could weak spark, or improper ignition timing, or advancer unit not correctly functioning.

Would also install brand new spark plugs of correct style and heat range per FSM.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 02 Jun 2010 15:52 by Patton.

More
02 Jun 2010 22:16 #373005 by clutch85
Replied by clutch85 on topic float level?
they are keihin cv carbs...i have adjusted valves and all that stuff...i havent done a pug chop though, i have just been riding it and then pulling them...if too rich i would think it would still run on both cylinders and not cut out it would just use more gas also im not quite sure how to do the float level test