which carbs to get?

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 May 2010 11:58 #372332 by 9am53
which carbs to get? was created by 9am53
I recently picked up a ZX1100-A1 with the DFI...I don't want to keep it as it confounds me, so I will likely fleabay it and get myself a set of carbs. I want to make this a "dragbike" meaning I will likely take to the strip in like 2 years and go maybe a couple times a summer...lol

Anyways, I am wondering what a good set of carbs would be for this project so I can start keeping my eyes open for them now. I plan on going 1135cc 10.5:1 comp, some porting, nothing crazy, just for fun. I am comfortable enough with the BS34's, and they are cheap and plentiful, but understand that the CV style carbs are not that great for drag racing...I can't afford a decent set of VM29's, but was thinking about a set of VM28's...are they that much different from the 29's?

If for my meager drag racing expectations the BS34's would suffice I would be happy to get a set from a cop bike, but if there is another inexpensive yet better suited alternative I would love to hear it!

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2010 12:00 #372333 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic which carbs to get?
thats a 16v motor ,it should be happy with 36-38s i would think B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 May 2010 12:18 #372344 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic which carbs to get?
umm, GPz1100 is 8 valve... (1983 gpz1100) sorry for the confusion...

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 May 2010 12:30 #372349 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic which carbs to get?
tim was saying the other day that some carbs off the fj1200 yami were good on thos heads and did low e.t's...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 May 2010 12:31 #372350 by 9am53
oh yeah, I remember that...I'll check it out, thx!

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 May 2010 12:50 #372353 by 9am53
can't find it...BUT if I were to find some, what things need to be considered when adding carbs from another bike...I would think:

1) how many fuel lines I need (my pet only has 1)
2) carbs holders...which I would have to jury rig right?
3) throttle cable

anything else?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 May 2010 13:07 #372356 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic which carbs to get?
timebomb is a whiz with that stuff...but if some folks know they are hot ticket converter/upgrade carbs it may be just as hard to get em of the e-bay stuff for low prices...why not just use a set of cop bike carbs for a while as runners and go into your build as needed....cop bike carbs are fairly cheap and there are always sets up for sale..and sometimes lots of sets come up ,so the bids are more normalized then...and are gonna work great to set up a gpz11100 motorto run strong....are you gonna take the motor apart before seeing if it runs and shifts through the gears ???or are you gonna try and get it running as a streeter and build it as $ permit and while riding around too.....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
31 May 2010 15:07 #372397 by 9am53
I just enjoyed myself so much this winter working on my bike that I wanted to do it again, so I got this motor to play with and make go fast, but since I got the whole bike with no title, it was plain to me to make it a race bike, so I just plan on taking every nut and bolt outta there, completely re-do everything and then get it going...no rush no pressure, just fun in the basement while I ride my other bike! :)

More
31 May 2010 16:44 #372424 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic which carbs to get?
9am53 wrote:

umm, GPz1100 is 8 valve... (1983 gpz1100) sorry for the confusion...

oopsies,i was thinking zx11! :S

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
01 Jun 2010 04:09 #372545 by 9am53
sounds like a plan...copper carbs it is.

More
01 Jun 2010 06:01 #372553 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic which carbs to get?
You realize drag racing isn't going to be a cheap hobby right?

Contact Tim (timebomb) for info and what you can expect in time and money.... You may save yourself a whole slew of problems on this bike and decide to just ride the piss out of her once you get it titled and registered... ;)

As for the fuel ignition versus BS34's... The stock DFI come with computer serial port for mapping? Or possibly after market products for mapping such as the Commander modules... I just can't see those old BS carbs comparing to the FI system... Most likely I'm wrong on this...

Good luck, start a project post once you start tearing into her....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• 9am53
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
01 Jun 2010 06:17 #372555 by 9am53
I know it's expensive, and likely stupid to start doing it...BUT:

I don't intend to make it a serious thing where I wanna get out every weekend or anything, it would just be for fun. I had so much fun this winter, but hated the time constraint and pressure to have the bike rideable and good to go come spring. With this bike I can take my time, years if I want, since I have my green machine done (sort of). Insurance here in Canada is more of a racket than anything, so I can't even think about insuring 2 bikes...so this one is ideal to race with...I would ideally road race it since the bike is already set up for that, but I would likely get my self killed, and I think I would have more fun dragging it.

I will likely take pics galore since I will now have the bike in my new basement (moving today!) so I won't have to remember a camera and whatnot, but like I said, I won't be doing this quickly...I just want to take every little piece off and restore/refurb it so a thread may take years to put up before it's interesting to read through...

Dave I am surprised that you held your tongue, I expected you to chastise me for getting a bike instead of a baffle! lol, I may end up throwing the bassani on the green machine while I get my kerker headers ceramic coated...the bassani has a real baffle, so you win! lol

Anyways, you may have a point about the fuel injection...I guess the DFI was much better than the old style FI, it's just all complicated with the computers and whatnot...