Bogging & Carb sync

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Apr 2006 08:24 #37213 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Bogging & Carb sync was created by BARNEYHYPHEN
1976 Kz 900 cases with 1015 block running 10:1 with 28's. Synced the carbs last night but very "boggy" off the line and a little "missy" midrange.

When I did the rebuild i decided to go with the E-bayed set of old 28's. I THINK they may be 74 or 75 vintage (sync adjusters on the outside of the body. Totally stripped them down, cleaned and bench synced. here's my concern(s).. set the floats on the bench, with the carbs totally inverted, at 25mm and set the needles on the #3 slot.

Interestingly, I did get some noticible RPM response on bike adjustment of the air screws but I did get a lot of "bounce around" in the murcury when attempting the syncing.

Also, slackened off the dyna/points timing plate and rotated from one end of the slots to the other (10 degrees?) whilst the engine was running, and got absolutely NO perceivable RPM change. Thought I should detect some change?

Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2006 07:36 #37543 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Replied by BARNEYHYPHEN on topic Bogging & Carb sync
Thanks for the detailed question Barney, great question. Hey Barney, I think I've resolved the problem. You have?. Yes. Last night, filled the tank with FRESH 87 octane and tweaked on the air screws a little and replaced #4 plug. She ran like a top.

Thanks all the help. You're welcome.

More
07 Apr 2006 07:45 #37546 by mgweiss
Replied by mgweiss on topic Bogging & Carb sync
You won't notice much difference turning the ignition plate at idle, but the timing will have to be set correctly to get enough spark advance for higher rpm. Have you checked the mechanical spark advancer behind the Dyna-s plate? Make sure its lightly lubed and not gummed up. If its not working the engine will bog big time. Also if you have the timing plate turned too far back you'll have the same problem. I'd get the timing set before trying to tune the carbs.

More
07 Apr 2006 08:13 #37551 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Bogging & Carb sync
Barney,that was so nice of You to help out Barney...right on...Barney!
I think for Your hard work...Barney,that You should take...Barnry...out for a beer and a burger(or tea and crumpets)...and then go for a ride with...Barney.
You Guys could end up becoming good Buddies,and maybe even get to know...MRS...Barney...You could all hang out,and WHO KNOWS...play cards or something,on Friday nights,or go out dancing...or just alternate between Barney and Barneys house every other weekend,and go with the flow.
(or just guzzle whiskey and crank AC/DC!) :lol:
Good on Ya...Barney!!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2006 11:56 #37596 by BARNEYHYPHEN
Hey Sandy, I like your thinking buddie. I'm thinking of maybe some wife swap action? Wadya thank?

I'm going to send my bud Barney a U2U right now. Dang I'm looking forward to the weekend!

More
07 Apr 2006 13:07 #37611 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Bogging & Carb sync
Just be careful, Barney, Barney's wife might be a real bitch, you never know. In any case use protection, you don't know where Barney has been!:blink:

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Apr 2006 13:11 #37612 by BARNEYHYPHEN
N48, I've heard she's a real goer. Wink, wink, know what I mean.

More
07 Apr 2006 14:02 #37623 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Bogging & Carb sync
Say no more, say no more!:cheer: