Bike will Run on Choke but not idle?

More
29 May 2010 16:33 - 29 May 2010 16:36 #371941 by Hawk111
Bike will Run on Choke but not idle? was created by Hawk111
I just cleaned my carbs. They looked pretty clean inside.No visible residue. Brownish liquid came out. I am missing 3 choke flaps as you can see in my profile pic. A guy at a shop still said I should have about 80% choke. Considering much of the passage still gets blocked.

That said, I put the carbs back on and my bike still can't run on idle or half idle. Weird. I think it should work fine, maybe when I took the idle jets out maybe I didn't let the passages underneath soak enough? They look clean.

Why can't my bike run without the choke on?

Also, when on choke my bike is at about 4 revs, uh.
How do I change this. Idle screw doesn't seem to do much.
Yet, I havn't adjusted my throttle cables since disassembling. Any tips? As much info as possible would be
helpful.
Last edit: 29 May 2010 16:36 by Hawk111.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2010 19:28 #371985 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Bike will Run on Choke but not idle?
They are still dirty, clean them again making sure all the small passages and jets are CLEAN.

More
30 May 2010 07:27 - 30 May 2010 07:27 #372057 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Bike will Run on Choke but not idle?
There is a manual for your bike in my signature.

When it gets cold, you'll need those choke flaps to start the bike. 80% choke won't start it on a cold day. Some people have sealed off the choke plate openings completely and just lift open the choke slightly while cranking the engine. It'll usually start then.

The fast-idle adjustment screw is difficult to get to. Here is a mod to make it easier to reach.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Carbure...PZchokeScrewMod.html

But really, the reason the fast-idle is way too high right now is because it is getting way too much air with the flaps missing.

After the bike warms up for 15 minutes or so, it should not need choke. Your carbs probably still need cleaning as Baldy110 said. Have you cleaned out the air-screw passages? That's mostly what feeds the motor at low idle.

Also, if you have no airfilter on the bike, it will have to stay on the choke much longer. If you plan on running without the airbox, you'll want to rejet the carbs.
Last edit: 30 May 2010 07:27 by loudhvx.